• Register Today It's free!

1996 4.0 Manaul Swap help

pathwayus69

Reaction score
City, State
marshall nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place, I have a 96 Explorer 4.0 4x4 that the 4r55e is on it last leg. Been looking throw trying to find a replacement. Long story short everyone am finding is bad. So before i go to the junk yard this weekend. My question is this will the m5od-r1 work. Form what I am finding ranger with a 4.0 form 91-2000 have the m5od. Along with First gen explorer, and maybe the sport explorer as long as it not the sho? What about the tranfor case will it bolt up i know it will form a 4ald but am not sure about the 4r55e. I would welcome anyone input and help as i have been digging throw google for the past few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer is yes. 5speed was an option for your year, and the trans they used was m5od aka m5r1. Just be sure the one you get came off a 4.0. Also get the flywheel and pedal assembly. The could possibly be some slight difference in the floor contours between your truck and the one you pull the pedals from, so I suggest trying to find pedals from a gen2 X.

The tcase will bolt up too.

Thanks for your help, i did look under the dash today and didn't see the clutch switch, so the next question is when the manual tranmmision is install I will need to by pass the neutral system right?

Under the dash of what? You won't have it on your auto Ex. On the junkyard vehicle, it's just a small plastic piece with wires that is clipped onto the pushrod for the clutch pedal.

No idea if you'll need it for your swap. I'd say no. Mines been disconnected for years.

Thanks for all the input I did look for a m50d but didn't have much luck finding one, so i picked up another 4r55e, which went well... Changed it out today am getting a p0761 and a p0756 and the o/d light is flashing. Changed four of the shift solenoid because the ones in the old transmission where new. This is what its doing as of right now. When you go to drive some time it will start off in first and shift to 3rd then 4th, other times it will not engage. If you start off in first then then you can manual shift to second then when you go to drive you half to let off the gas and it will shift into 3rd. After that it will shift into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th just fine until you come to a stop. Starting to think this 4r55e is done for. I have looked a little bit for a diagram for the solenoid but haven't had any luck so far. If there is no luck with this I will swap to the m5od not going to try my luck on another 4r55e unless i can see if move and shift throw all its gears. Any input on this would be great.

Sounds like a broken band.

That's what am fear hoping i might have not plugged one of the solenoid in or there not pushed in all the way i might check that on saturday, I also may have lead on a good m5od so i might not mess with this at all rip it out and take it back to the junk yard it came form.

Back