• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer 4.0 ohv swap

surf2xcite

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xl
I have not to find a answer in any forms concerning same year vechile swaps. I have a 99 Ex. 4.0 OHV and plan on swapping in a 5.0 from another 99 Ex. Knowing already that they were both offered in that yr. Is the eng. wire harness & computer swap the only items I need to swap and will I have any problems when connecting to the main harness.:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not to find a answer in any forms concerning same year vechile swaps. I have a 99 Ex. 4.0 OHV and plan on swapping in a 5.0 from another 99 Ex. Knowing already that they were both offered in that yr. Is the eng. wire harness & computer swap the only items I need to swap and will I have any problems when connecting to the main harness.:help:

You will need a 4r70w trans. xfer case is different if you have 4X4

You will need a 4r70w trans. xfer case is different if you have 4X4

yes.

You will have to the infamous 4406 swap to get 4wd or find a donor and get an AWD xfer case

There was a big wiring change for the 99 models, plus the fuel system and pressure change. I think that any 99-01 V8 engine harness should work in that 99 you have.

If you have a 2WD or 4WD to deal with, the GEM needs to be a 99-01, matched for 2WD(and AWD) or 4WD. Good luck,

There was a big wiring change for the 99 models, plus the fuel system and pressure change. I think that any 99-01 V8 engine harness should work in that 99 you have.

If you have a 2WD or 4WD to deal with, the GEM needs to be a 99-01, matched for 2WD(and AWD) or 4WD. Good luck,
Do you recall what the changes were, and is it going to be just the engine harness or will I also have to swap out the cluster harness also. Now the fuel system is the return system so I kind of figured the pump would have to be up graded. Are you also refering to the line routing to the throttle body.

I was agreeing that it should be straight forward if you use 99 model wiring for your 99 truck. Basically the engine wiring is all under the hood, in the engine bay harness and engine harness. The GEM module is all about non engine functions, including the transfer case if the truck is 4WD. Be sure to get the right trans to start with, 2WD or 4WD(AWD(302)).

Back