• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0 to 2006 4.0 ??

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Instead of fixing my crappy timing chains in my 98 I have a friend who has a 2006 4.0 SOHC engine with low miles. Is it the same engine with the exception of the intake? Would it be a direct swap for my 98 4.0 SOHC? Somebody please let me know. I can get this engine right now for $200. Alot cheaper than having the chains and tensioners replaced in mine. Both engines came out of 4x4's.

:salute:

I don't know but if you end up buying it save the original motor and then fix it yourself.Then you have a ready to go backup motor.And you will learn how to fix them in the process.:D

Thanks , someone on this site reasearched it and said they were the same if you bolt on the intake and exhaust manifolds from the explorer. I did some research of my own and both engine appear to have the exact same longblock configuration. I think the improved harmonic balancer on the stang takes the need for a balance shaft away.

Engine differences

Thanks , someone on this site reasearched it and said they were the same if you bolt on the intake and exhaust manifolds from the explorer. I did some research of my own and both engine appear to have the exact same longblock configuration. I think the improved harmonic balancer on the stang takes the need for a balance shaft away.

I believe the only differences in any Ford SOHC V6 long block are the crankcase breather, the harmonic balancer and the balance shaft. You should be able to use a long block from an Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger, Mustang, or even a Discovery III. Several forum members have replaced their balance shaft engine with a no balance shaft engine and had no problems. The third generation Explorers seem to be more prone to harmonic balancer failure. In 1999 Ford went to a returnless fuel system with the fuel pressure regulator mounted in the fuel tank instead of at the fuel rail.

Back