1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV 4 X 4 Oil Pan Gasket Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV 4 X 4 Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

CynthiaK

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L OHV
Hi.

I cannot seem to find information regarding changing the oil pan gasket on my particular Explorer.
Does the engine or the transmission have to be pulled in order to change the gasket?

Thank-you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi.

I cannot seem to find information regarding changing the oil pan gasket on my particular Explorer.
Does the engine or the transmission have to be pulled in order to change the gasket?

Thank-you.
since ya have the ohv the engine just has to be lifted up a tad iirc since its a 1pc design. just loosening the mounts should do alright it just needs to be tilted/lifted up a bit iirc, not removed though

It is extremely difficult to change the oil pan gasket on a OHV in the truck
You will have to fish the gasket down and around the oil pump pickup which is basically impossible given the room you have to work with
You can CUT the gasket and then joint it back together at one of the corners with additional silicon

However the best way to do this repair would be to pull the engine

Me again - still haven't attempted to change the oil pan gasket.
Since this is probably beyond what we can do, would an oil leak additive suffice for now to (help) stop the leak?
Not sure this old truck is worth putting the amount of money into it that a mechanic would charge to fix it, especially if the motor does indeed need to come out.

Me again - still haven't attempted to change the oil pan gasket.
Since this is probably beyond what we can do, would an oil leak additive suffice for now to (help) stop the leak?
Not sure this old truck is worth putting the amount of money into it that a mechanic would charge to fix it, especially if the motor does indeed need to come out.
depends on how bad itnis. some sweller can help but jn too large quanities can be bad. personally i use at205 but of course everyone has their own preferred flavor and thats alright! ;)

My 1994 pan was leaking enough to drip on the concrete. Since I have a solid axle, I cut out the engine cross member and made a bolt in version. Dropped the pan, replaced the gasket. It was a rotten job with the transmission still attached as the rear two bolts are awkward, and one is about 4" long. Gasket is also made up of three or four parts and hard to install. Started leaking at the front within a few months, but not enough to drip. Loses about a half quart before a oil change. If I replace it again, I'm going to forget the gasket and RTV it.

Back