1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance

oof man, any of those fans, hvac, engine, they all hurt!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not healed yet, but I had a few minutes of free time after work before going to my son's concert. All I've seen is clutch material. No visible metal flakes so far. Ignore the "work table".

IMG_20230313_163429170.jpg

I figured while it's apart anyway, I'd work on the valve body. I have read the VB build diary. Question is, is it better to rebuild the existing or order a sonnax?

I figured while it's apart anyway, I'd work on the valve body. I have read the VB build diary. Question is, is it better to rebuild the existing or order a sonnax?
I ordered a shift right vb was really good quality stopped my 2-3 flare and slippage. I did change the separator plate with a oem ford one from a later ranger.

I got my stitches out today. My finger isn't 100 yet though. Transmission is all torn down now. All metal parts look good. OD band was bad. Clutches have dark coloring toward the center. Were OEM clutches directional?

I assisted a plastic surgeon for a while. Skin tensile strength improves at about 10% a week, so keep that in mind. The most dangerous time is soon after the sutures are removed.

I assisted a plastic surgeon for a while. Skin tensile strength improves at about 10% a week, so keep that in mind. The most dangerous time is soon after the sutures are removed.
I found that out a few years ago accidentally. I had 44 sutures after a guy pulled a knife. I was in my yard doing something (I don't remember what), my brother in law noticed I was bleeding from what I thought was a healed wound. By this time, I'd already been at work framing too lol.

I didn't know that.

I didn’t either. It was kinda shocking to hear—but made sense when we would get emergency calls from patients who ignored their post-op instructions, did too much too soon, and ripped their beautiful incisions wiiiiiide open because they thought that sutures out = full strength.

I didn’t either. It was kinda shocking to hear—but made sense when we would get emergency calls from patients who ignored their post-op instructions, did too much too soon, and ripped their beautiful incisions wiiiiiide open because they thought that sutures out = fully healed.

I'm pretty sure I found the cause of all of the shifting problems it had. I'm guessing the separator plate bolts should have been torqued. One was loose as heck. Didn't need any tool to remove it other than my fingers.

I'm pretty sure I found the cause of all of the shifting problems it had. I'm guessing the separator plate bolts should have been torqued. One was loose as heck. Didn't need any tool to remove it other than my fingers.
Oofff yep I had that happen.

So, after I get thing back together, hopefully next month (money), do you think it would haul a 6100lb camper once in a while? Book rates it at 5100 with the 4l ohv and 3.73 gears.
Yes, I would add a transmission cooler.
No, I wouldn't use the bumper mounted ball.
Yes, I would install a brake controller.
Maybe, I would use a weight distributing hitch.

y
So, after I get thing back together, hopefully next month (money), do you think it would haul a 6100lb camper once in a while? Book rates it at 5100 with the 4l ohv and 3.73 gears.
Yes, I would add a transmission cooler.
No, I wouldn't use the bumper mounted ball.
Yes, I would install a brake controller.
Maybe, I would use a weight distributing hitch.
you have a sport. 5100 is probably for a 4 door. sports are much lighter and have the mono leaf rear suspension. i wouldnt go near 6100 with these. only a 4dr v8 can touch that, maybe a sohc 4dr. define once in a while. like once. month? if so then id get a bigger truck imo f150 can haul that with ease the X cant touch

No argument that it could be sketchy. And probably even less than that. Probably less than 3x per year. We're considering living in a camper.
Screenshot_20230323-143557.png

i stand corrected then! in that case, not too sure. towing over the rating is usually somewhat ok i mean the issue isnt usually going its trying to bring that all to a stop or trying to do anything but go forward :p if you do plan to id fo w/ upgraded sway bar some nice brakes and get rid of the mono leaves. my worry is sway once you turn or make a lane change or if wind picks up etc. straight lines arent usually bad, its mainly the sway

i stand corrected then! in that case, not too sure. towing over the rating is usually somewhat ok i mean the issue isnt usually going its trying to bring that all to a stop or trying to do anything but go forward :p if you do plan to id fo w/ upgraded sway bar some nice brakes and get rid of the mono leaves. my worry is sway once you turn or make a lane change or if wind picks up etc. straight lines arent usually bad, its mainly the sway
What are your thoughts on a weight distributing hitch with anti sway? And yes, I've flipped a trailer full of roofing debris with a 3/4 ton truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are your thoughts on a weight distributing hitch with anti sway? And yes, I've flipped a trailer full of roofing debris with a 3/4 ton truck.
cant comment on air sway but seems like a good thing. WD hitches are mucho bueno!!!! especially for keeping the front tires planted firmly on these, since they already have squat to begin with.. add a trailer (especially w/ the mono leaves) and i imagine its not pretty. i would definitely put some fo the multi leaf packs in, much better than the mono, especially under heavy load. plus i imagine it would level the front w/ the rear (or maybe just a tad higher) so when you put the WD hitch it would stay nice and firm planting. do consider some air shocks in the back or bags depending on how it performs the first time around. the main thing is keep it slow and steady, well you get the idea. also make sure your hitch can do the weigh too the trailer

Back