• Register Today It's free!

1999 EB Project

Geo_08

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I thought I would start out with a first post about the new project in my driveway and continue from there. I picked this up from a lady who wanted to donate it, and didn't want to deal with the hassle of repairing the brake line and getting it to pass inspections.

This thing only has 1bout 154,000 miles on it, in the last year it has been driven less than 2,000. Most of the work comes from neglect more than anything.

IMG_1777a.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

Here is the list of things I have already done:
-Replace rear hard brake line- It was busted above the transfer case, this was a quick fix other than bending the line in single digit weather
-Re-cover armrest- As you can see the previous owner had a killer duct tape job. I purchased this kit, and it was all pretty straight forward. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5KYS9I/ref=twister_B074G3SR75?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
-Change the oil- Previous owner had no idea when she last changed the oil, I pulled the Carfax and saw it was about 5k ago. I put penzoil full synthetic and a Wix filter in.
- Begun the cleaning process- this thing is filty, it looks like 200 sodas have exploded in it. The passenger seat has a newspaper tattoo. I cleaned up the divers seat, and dash just enough so I could drive it without a hazmat suit on.

List of near future projects:
- Fix burnt out overhead display, dead radio display, and intermittent computer dispay:
The first too seem to be directly related to failing sodder points on the board, I need to pull these out and look at them. I may end up replacing the radio as the "4" button has a weird crunch to it, like it has broken the return spring. The status computer's display works intermittently. At times it looks like the countdown timer from predator, other times is missing words here and there. It works about 50% of the time, I need to research this, but I assume it is related to a bad connection. Any thoughts?
-Fix rear view mirror- The rear view mirror is super wobbly, and has a few wiring harnesses unplugged form it, It drives me bonkers. If the harnesses all hook up correctly I need to see if there is a way to firm up the pivot
-Match the tires- The previous owner just replaced one tire when she had a flat. 3 corners have cooper discovery ht. The new tires is completely different as a Cordovan Wild Trac LTR Max. I like the LTR max considering this is going to be a work truck working on mix surfaces. The problem is no tire shop around here can get that tire. (This tire has less than 1,000 miles on it). So, have to figure out if it is worth ordering online (as tire mounting is something out of my tool and experience zone) and getting sent over to a shop, or buying 4 new and putting the LTR max on the spare. Keeping in mind I am trying to keep this as a budget work truck. I would pay more for 4 new tires than I paid for the car. In the mean time I may see if I can find somebody who has a similar cooper discovery with approximately the same tread depth.
-Figure out the binding when warm- This may be related to the one odd tire, but it only does it when warm so I think it may be the viscous coupler. The truck binds line a 4wd turning tightly when it is locked into 4H. I am going to try and change the TC fluid first, as it is a cheap thing to do.
-Replace rear wiper- This current rear wiper is held together by duct tape and it flops everywhere, this will be a junkyard run likely
-Replace front bumper cover and grill- The elderly woman who drove this had a knack for rolling fender benders. She had two of them, as a result the grille isn't in the best shape, and the bumper has seen better days. I don't know if I will buy new and try to paint to match or junk yard this one.
-Replace fog lighting- When I figure out the bumper I will be putting fog lights back in. I don't know if I will stick to stock or put in aftermarket, hopefully still using the OEM controls.
-Deep clean- This thing needs a full carpet shampooing and good leather cleaning.
-Rust treatment- The rear passenger door sill has a small rust spot, and along the roof rack there are a few, plus a few rusty chips on the hood. I need to hit these with the polymer rust stopper. Then paint
-Lug wrench- it is missing :(

Future projects

-New stereo- This is a maybe. I need the truck to look stock as to discourage theft. I work in less than savory areas at times (environmental cleanups never seem to take place in nice neighborhoods). So all speakers, and the sub definitely have to fit in the stock locations. They currently all mostly work, but the sound isn't great. I also want to rip out the CD changer, need to see if that will have an impact on the rest of the stereo first. If it doesn't I may run an aux line from the stock changer inputs. That is all in the theory stage.
-New hood paint- The hood has failing clear coat, it needs to be painted, When I do this I will replace the lifts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the pictures it doesn't look that bad.
How rusty is the underside is the key question.

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a good score. Just an FYI there is no viscous coupling in the t-case, that’s in the V8s only. The V6 use an electromagnetic ramp clutch that gets ‘duty cycled’ in auto as the wheel sensors detect slippage. In high the clutch gets 12v and locks up. There is a mod called ‘the brown wire mod’ that interrupts this signal under the drivers seat giving a 2wd ( both in high and low) option.

Looks like a good score. Just an FYI there is no viscous coupling in the t-case, that’s in the V8s only. The V6 use an electromagnetic ramp clutch that gets ‘duty cycled’ in auto as the wheel sensors detect slippage. In high the clutch gets 12v and locks up. There is a mod called ‘the brown wire mod’ that interrupts this signal under the drivers seat giving a 2wd ( both in high and low) option.

I didn't see where the OP said it was an AWD, perhaps I missed it or perhaps it's a RWD.

Oh wait, I just re-read where he said it was binding in 4WD high. Which is strange as it appears to be a V8 (which would mean AWD). That might be related to the one new tire, or the viscous coupling may be toast.

Ohhhh. It’s binding LIKE a 4wd in high. I misunderstood what he meant. It’s more than likely that odd tire. The more it heats up the grabbier it will get.

From the pictures it doesn't look that bad.
How rusty is the underside is the key question.

Welcome to the forum!
The bottom isn’t terrible, new exhaust from the cats back.

Ohhhh. It’s binding LIKE a 4wd in high. I misunderstood what he meant. It’s more than likely that odd tire. The more it heats up the grabbier it will get.
Yep exactly. It is a v8 awd.

I didn't see where the OP said it was an AWD, perhaps I missed it or perhaps it's a RWD.

Oh wait, I just re-read where he said it was binding in 4WD high. Which is strange as it appears to be a V8 (which would mean AWD). That might be related to the one new tire, or the viscous coupling may be toast.

Awd v8. Should have made that more clear.

Underside images
20180211_122853.jpg
20180211_122807.jpg
20180211_122818.jpg
20180211_122842.jpg

So, two things. Found a grille, front bumper,trim set intact on another explorer for $100 if I take it off. This includes fogs. Any tricky parts of disassembly?

Also the drivers side door won’t lock all the way using the fob, any common issues that will cause the lock to be sticky?

Also the drivers side door won’t lock all the way using the fob, any common issues that will cause the lock to be sticky?

Replace the lock motor driver.

May be stuck from being factory.

They don't last forever.

Replace the lock motor driver.

May be stuck from being factory.

They don't last forever.

I’ll look into it, was hoping more for a give it a good cleaning answer lol.

Cleaning it might be the answer. My knob was binding up in the hole. I removed it and cleaned it with armor-all and it worked much better.

So, two things. Found a grille, front bumper,trim set intact on another explorer for $100 if I take it off. This includes fogs. Any tricky parts of disassembly?

FYI... grille, front bumper cover, and two fog lights are only $55 at the pick-a-part yard I goto.

New aftermarket grilles are dirt dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

FYI... grille, front bumper cover, and two fog lights are only $55 at the pick-a-part yard I goto.

New aftermarket grilles are dirt dirt cheap.
[/QUOTE]

Haven't found one in decent shape here locally at a u wrench it type place. And they are wanting about that, for the bumper and grille, but as soon as I start figuring in lights and supports it gets to be almost the same price. Plus this gentleman is letting me grab lots of other parts as well lumped into the same deal.

Changed the air filter and look what I found.
20180212_172812.jpg

That’s.............nuts.

Changed the air filter and look what I found.View attachment 155835

I've see that many times (usually mice). Knew a guy that had has Dodge truck off the road for a while, when he thought he had it fixed it wouldn't start. Turned out the air box and every hole in the air filter screen was packed with seeds and mouse nest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s.............nuts.

Ha yep
I've see that many times (usually mice). Knew a guy that had has Dodge truck off the road for a while, when he thought he had it fixed it wouldn't start. Turned out the air box and every hole in the air filter screen was packed with seeds and mouse nest.

yeah, luckily he didn't chew through any plastic, just entered in the air intake and made the nest there. The filter was packed full of fur, so I replaced the air filter and cleaned out the debris.

As an update I also went to a used tire place and found a similar tire to the coopers to replaced he wild trac. The truck isn't wanting to pull as much while driving, and the groan during sharp turns has greatly been reduced.

Back