1999 Ford Explorer 4WD Transfer Case issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer 4WD Transfer Case issue

palauborne

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
I followed the steps for checking my transfer case by jacking up the truck and putting it on jack stands. The wheels turned just fine. I was able to turn the front driveshaft by hand while in 4High and idling. It seems though that 4Low actually works because I hear a clunk from the front end while engaging it while on the road. Any thoughts on my next step? Paul:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All wheels off the ground? Was the trans in drive?

No, just the front as suggested. Trans was in park. From what I have been reading from other sites, the Transfer Case Clutch Coil could be bad. I may beat on it with a mallet as also suggested while cycling the 4High switch.

Your check was fine, and yes the magnetic clutch may be bad. If you know how to use a volt meter check the brown wire at the rear of the case, with it in 4x4 there should be 12 volts on the brown wire if there is then the clutch is probably bad.

Thanks for the reply and advice.
Will check it out tomorrow before the snow comes.

Darn it if the voltage read about 2.1 volts on the brown wire with it in 4WD. I disconnected it from the transfer case clutch coil and put the meter wires into the connector. Now what?

I followed the steps for checking my transfer case by jacking up the truck and putting it on jack stands. The wheels turned just fine. I was able to turn the front driveshaft by hand while in 4High and idling. It seems though that 4Low actually works because I hear a clunk from the front end while engaging it while on the road. Any thoughts on my next step? Paul:salute:

Hello,

I am having the same issue but, I was not able to turn the front driveshaft by hand in any this cases. What the next step, what I need to check?

Sorry for my bad english :)

Back