2016 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Sound Enhancement - Like or Dislike? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Sound Enhancement - Like or Dislike?

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
Those 2016 owners that have the 3.5L Ecoboost may or may not be aware of the ESE system in the vehicle: ESE - 3.5L EcoBoost

ESE is an audio system feature that enhances certain engine tones typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses a DACMC (contained within the ACM) and the audio system speakers.

The DACMC determines the engine tone to enhance based upon engine rotation speed data, engine torque data, and accelerator pedal position data from the PCM. The data from the PCM is processed and converted into an analog audio signal, transmitted to the DACMC internal tone generator, and output by the ACM to audio DSP module as fluctuating AC voltage. The audio DSP module sends the signal to the LHF and RHF door midwoofer speakers as fluctuating AC voltage.

Basically it pumps fake engine noise through the stereo system.

On the F150 this can be shut off with IDS (dealer programming) but I looked and the same is not true of the 16 Explorer. I am going to look into this and see if it can be manually shut off by programming.

Do you like or dislike the noise? I should be getting a Sport shortly and I plan on turning it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it.
I haven't really stomped it yet--only 180 miles. But give it a little gas and it sounds pretty good, to me.

TW

I definitely want the option of disabling it.

Thanks for letting us know about this, Jason. I was not aware that my 2016 Platinum was equipped with a system that enhances the EcoBoost's exhaust tone, but I have noticed it sounds pretty healthy whenever I use a heavy right hoof.

It would be nice to have an option to disable/enable this feature just to be able to compare the sound with and without the audio-system enhancement.

Thanks for letting us know about this, Jason. I was not aware that my 2016 Platinum was equipped with a system that enhances the EcoBoost's exhaust tone, but I have noticed it sounds pretty healthy whenever I use a heavy right hoof.

It would be nice to have an option to disable/enable this feature just to be able to compare the sound with and without the audio-system enhancement.
I guess for now you'll just have to turn the audio down to see the difference, assuming that works. :D

Peter

If you really want to try a with/without comparison, wouldn't disconnecting the radio fuse disable any sound coming from the speakers?

I like it a lot actually. Not sure how I'd feel about it, but it really enhances the experience and it sounds great without me having to install an obnoxious exhaust system.

I like it a lot actually. Not sure how I'd feel about it, but it really enhances the experience and it sounds great without me having to install an obnoxious exhaust system.

I totally agree. I don't know that there is some kind of sound enhancement, but what I do hear from the "engine sound" is really good. Cruising there is no sound. Step on it a bit, and the sound is of a finely tuned motor.

JMHO,

TW

I guess for now you'll just have to turn the audio down to see the difference, assuming that works. :D

Peter
I have a 2017 and there is no noise enhancement there is no tonight adjustment... if there is it's a crock of poo. I hear silenceeee

I have a 2017 and there is no noise enhancement there is no tonight adjustment... if there is it's a crock of poo. I hear silenceeee
Not sure what you mean by "there is no tonight adjustment".:dunno:
I don't know if the Ecoboost in the 2016/17 has ESE (Engine Sound Enhancement) or not. I was not able to find any mention of it in either Owner's Manual.
I did find a video clip of it on an F-150. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...st-enhanced-engine-sound.460855/#post-3615152
The only thing I know my Platinum has is the ICE Noise Reduction module which is to help cancel engine noise in the cabin.

Peter

I don't see Engine Sound Enhancement on the build for Explorer's but I do notice that the same bit disables or enables noise reduction. It seems that this controls DACMC processing which is different in our vehicles than the F-150.

If the Explorer Sport is anything like the Taurus SHO, there is no digital enhanced fake engine noise. The SHO uses a noise generator on the air intake tract (thing sticking out the air tube right by the throttle body). Ford deleted this from the MKS. This basically makes it growl a bit at WOT. Otherwise the EcoBoost is making pure sound.

If you want to hear fake engine noise from the EcoBoost V6 engines, try the Edge Sport/ST, Fusion Sport, and Explorer ST. At WOT they sound nothing like the SHO under load. I think I know what Ford was trying to do with the Fusion Sport fake engine sound, it is somewhat reminiscent of a Mercedes V8 GTDI but lacks the obvious raw V8 feel/sound.

I think it depends on which model year one has. The Sport had it (ESE) but only when in "Sport" mode. I believe there was a post recently mentioning that the latest Platinum also had it. This was discussed in another thread.

Peter

I'm pretty sure the 11-19 Explorers did not have the fake engine noise system. The 2020-up Explorers do. The F-150s in Lariat and higher have it as well. I just found another thread on this site that said the Ex Sport and Platinums do not have it. They may have active noise cancellation (small microphones on the ceiling) but not the fake engine noise.

I'd love to hear an on-board video of a 13-19 Explorer Sport/Platinum that has the fake engine noise. It is very easy to tell. The tuning on the Ex Sport and Taurus SHO are identical so it is unlikely Ford spent money to add fake engine noise to the Explorer Sport.

Here's the SHO with no fake engine noise:

Here's the fake engine noise on the Fusion Sport (2.7 EcoBoost):

I've test driven the Explorer ST w/ the 3.0 EcoBoost and it sounds nothing like a V6 at WOT. Ford did a much better job with the noise effects. On the F-150 with the 2.7, they tuned it mechanically to sound more like a truck.

Comparing a 13-19 Taurus SHO to an 11-15 Explorer is a valid comparison. It is not a valid comparison for a 16-19 Explorer though because the two electrical systems are completely different. It went from a CGEA1.2 based system to CGEA1.3 which is the same as the Fusion Sport.

Hah, no kidding. They did put the fake engine sound into the later Explorer Sport. I can hear the fake bass mixed in with the same natural note from the SHO. Looking at the engine tuning for 18-19 Explorer Sports, it is still the same as 13-19 SHO's

Back