2000 4.0L SOHC Explorer. 5R55E transmission issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0L SOHC Explorer. 5R55E transmission issue.

bam22422

Reaction score
City, State
Seminole, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
2000 explorer approx 150k miles (no idea on trans history)

I search and read the last 5 hours and have not yet found the exact problem---

--I've had this explorer 3 years with absolutely no drivetrain problems, always towed with overdrive off, don't race, etc. I have probably put apprx 20-25k miles on it since I've owned it and never serviced the trans. It wasn't bright red ever but was told by several "in the know" if it ain't broke don't fix it.

every time I ever checked the trans fluid it is always at the right level.

--3 days ago while on a gentle 25 mile trip after stopping at a light it lost forward power and the o d light started flashing.
--it would drive in 1 and 2 with the light flashing but nothing in drive.
--it got limped home

--reverse still works (kind of) at first but not until revved to about2k.

SO far--

I changed filter/ fluid. checked spped sensor for shavings (none)

and found no chunks or significant mettallics in nasty (now burnt smelling)fluid

unplugged battery for 20 minutes/ put merc V in with lucas. warmed it up and checked fluid (fine) went for drive and same thing.

but now reverse seems to really lug the engine and cause a miss when rev'd but doesnt move the truck.

any ideas? VB bolts were snug?

ECC? speed sensor? new vehicle?

arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the fluid was burnt, something got real hot. My guess is the bands is what got hot from slipping.

If your reverse needs fairly high RPMs then the band isnt getting the tension needed and most likely slipping.

Most problems can be traced back to the valvebody. I have a strange blowout in mine right now that causes my 5th gear to slip back into 4th, after enough times of doing that the computer finally shuts down OD completely while flashing OD OFF and Im left with 4 Forward gears.

My guess is your losing pressure (lots of it) somewhere in the valvebody.

You can try readjusting your bands to make sure you still have them. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

Try getting the codes too, it could narrow possibilities down for you.

Check for codes?

not yet. I read on here you have to have that ford scanner or you are wasting your time and I don't have access to one yet.

this thing was driving great the day before this happened.

Could be a very simple fix like a fried EPC or a blown out valve body gasket. Either way, a rebuilt VB, gaskets and adjustment of your bands may fix your problems (both of you). If it doesn't then you likely have some mechanical issue that will require disassembly of your tranny. In the end, if you have to rebuild you should use a rebuilt VB with all the possible Sonnex upgrades possible. I suggest Central Valve Bodies. Many on this site have used them with excellent results. I like doing things myself so when my A4LD was misbehaving I rebuilt my own VB but you need a certain amount of mechanical ability for sure. Probably buying a rebuilt VB would not have cost a heck of alot more... And, when you adjust your bands, follow the directions carefully, you do not want to drop a band anchor inside the case.

I guess my best bet now since I already wasted $60 on the filter and fluid is to buy the speed sensor and cross my fingers. then if that doesnt work pull the vb and look for gasket blowout. then at that point probably just buy the rebuilt vb and adjust the bands and cross my fingers.

I can't see spending $100 on the epc solenoid when it might not work and I can get the vb with all new solenoids for $300.

hopefully the $13 speed sensor is the miracle.

if that doesn't work and I pull the valve body and its gasket is bad is it worth the $80 gamble to try the new gasket(including fluid) or just buy the vb?

this is exactly why I love old 50's and 60's cars.

I guess my best bet now since I already wasted $60 on the filter and fluid is to buy the speed sensor and cross my fingers. then if that doesnt work pull the vb and look for gasket blowout. then at that point probably just buy the rebuilt vb and adjust the bands and cross my fingers.

I can't see spending $100 on the epc solenoid when it might not work and I can get the vb with all new solenoids for $300.

hopefully the $13 speed sensor is the miracle.

if that doesn't work and I pull the valve body and its gasket is bad is it worth the $80 gamble to try the new gasket(including fluid) or just buy the vb?

this is exactly why I love old 50's and 60's cars.

Well no, I would never throw new parts at a problem without at least something pointing to that part as the cause. That's why you should check it for codes. Adjusting the bands is quick and easy to do and should be done on a regular basis (like 25,000 miles or something like that). You won't need to remove the pan and loose your fluid for that so I would do that either way. Also, you can reuse the new fluid if you strain it.

Pull the codes. Don't waste your money.

Well no, I would never throw new parts at a problem without at least something pointing to that part as the cause. That's why you should check it for codes. Adjusting the bands is quick and easy to do and should be done on a regular basis (like 25,000 miles or something like that). You won't need to remove the pan and loose your fluid for that so I would do that either way. Also, you can reuse the new fluid if you strain it.

Pull the codes. Don't waste your money.

do you agree with most on here that it has to be done with the ford scanner?

can't find anyone that has one yet.

Not totally, those cheap DIY scanners are pretty much what you pay for. A proper mechanic who has a professional scanner and pays for the updates etc. would be able to do it. My buddy has a system and he pays big bucks to keep it updated. You will likely have to pay him for a service call but it may or may not save you a bundle in the end. Hope you didn't erase the codes by unhooking your battery, not sure about that... now that the damn thing won't move who knows if it will set them again? I don't understand the system to that degree. I would guess that a conversation with a competent mechanic would answer some of your questions. I'm just a DIYer with some mechanical background from many many years ago when I worked on jet engines.

Not totally, those cheap DIY scanners are pretty much what you pay for. A proper mechanic who has a professional scanner and pays for the updates etc. would be able to do it. My buddy has a system and he pays big bucks to keep it updated. You will likely have to pay him for a service call but it may or may not save you a bundle in the end. Hope you didn't erase the codes by unhooking your battery, not sure about that... now that the damn thing won't move who knows if it will set them again? I don't understand the system to that degree. I would guess that a conversation with a competent mechanic would answer some of your questions. I'm just a DIYer with some mechanical background from many many years ago when I worked on jet engines.

It will still drive forward in 1 and 2.

I think I know someone with a snapon scanner. thanks!!

Keep in mind that it's probably not a good idea to drive it if you don't absolutely have to. It may be salvageable now but driving it while it is slipping may kill it.

Yes I know. unfortunately that leaves us with the 1950 ford sedan with no A/C.

not real recent but here's one from 4 months ago. rest of bumper is now chrome. hood is now aligned and wheels are now black.

32ford7071.jpg

Nice ride man. A/C is for the weak...

Did u ever get the trans issue figiured out? Are u sure you have the 4r55 and not the 5r55, i thought all the soch engines came with that trans?

Did u ever get the trans issue figiured out? Are u sure you have the 4r55 and not the 5r55, i thought all the soch engines came with that trans?

hmmm. good question BUT. it only showed 1-2-d-D on the column and I'm pretty sure I've only heard it shift through 4 gears.

the 5r is a 5 speed right?

oh and no nothing figured out yet. anyone want to buy it?

upon further investigation I think you are right 5r55e.

still haven't decided what to do with this thing.

I know we are getting another suv for sure and I know for sure it will not be an explorer.

upon further investigation I think you are right 5r55e.

still haven't decided what to do with this thing.

I know we are getting another suv for sure and I know for sure it will not be an explorer.

Get it scanned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it scanned.
don't know anyone with a scanner and taking it to ford on a wrecker will be pretty pricey.
plus word is the closest dealership to me does not have the best mechanics.
and about which it is again-

mine has a dipstick doesn't that make it a 4r55e?

Back