2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn:

Until I read the post, I was going to ask why you would de-turbo it, but all that even if you fixed it, more would probably take a poop on you.

Im definitely subscribing to this! Im curious to see your finished exhaust. Im still looking for an affordable (IDC if theyre used) set of TM headers, all the reviews on them make me want them so bad!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:popcorn:

Until I read the post, I was going to ask why you would de-turbo it, but all that even if you fixed it, more would probably take a poop on you.

Im definitely subscribing to this! Im curious to see your finished exhaust. Im still looking for an affordable (IDC if theyre used) set of TM headers, all the reviews on them make me want them so bad!

Thanks man! Good luck on finding some used TMHs.. I heard ppl just don't get rid of them lol :-/

I'm thinking I may eventually add a 125 shot of nitrous or 150 as my fuel system is already ready for it but that would be a bit down the road :-D

I'm just rdy to drive my explorer again alrdy! Lol... I hope to pay for the TMHs tho in about a week... Selling off some stuff so I can justify it with the wife haha.

I cant be without my X for a whole day even!

I dont have a wife to have to justify with, but I have to justify it myself. When I drop a decent ammount of change, I hate it! :D But then again, I dont have a fulltime job yet. If I did; TMH's would be a weeks paycheck which is fine to me :p:

I miss only justifying purchases with myself!! Lol.

I make good money but just bought a new house, need to sell my other house, and have 4 cars (03 SVTFocus, 10 E-350, 04 Freestar (need to sell lol), and the 00 Xploder), and support 4 kids (ages 2, 3, 4, & 5... All girls.. And 1 on the way lol), and a wife, lol.. Free money and time is all negotiable for me lol!

Congratulations on your wealth and happiness:thumbsup:

Im only 19, so funds are limited, and a good fulltime job is hard to find not having went to college yet. I almost got into the GEMA plant here in Dundee, (small Chrysler engines) starting out @ 25$ an hour. They JUST and I mean JUST changed it from not needing any previous experience/college etc to now needing an associates degree at least.

Anywho, this thread is for your X build, not my current life story! Do you have any pics of it?

Yeah.. Check out the Turbo Xploder thread.. There are some in there.. It's a cpl threads below this one.. I'll add some to this thread when I get on a PC (on my phone at the moment).

:-D

and thank u, tho I def would not say wealth lol... I wish! Haha.

Gratz on your youth! I'm 28 and feel old now haha.

Oo wow just noticed it says u live in Monroe... I went to HS at Addison a small town near where US 223 and 127 intersect... Between Adrian and Jackson.. My dad works for the Monroe school district at some building on Eerie I believe it is :-D

Oh yea, Adrian is right around the corner, and I live in the Monroe district (But went to Jefferson)

Oh yea, Adrian is right around the corner, and I live in the Monroe district (But went to Jefferson)

Awesome! :D I was just up there last week for my brothers HS graduation.. Stayed in a hotel in Adrian as my parents house in Addison could not fit my large family lol.

Some pictures of the Xploder (same as the ones in my old turbo thread)...

xploder1.jpg

xploder10.jpg

xploder9.jpg

xploder2.jpg

So... Anyone near Memphis TN, with tools, who wants to help me install my TMHs and intake spacer when I buy them soon?? ;)

Lol.

My new spark plugs and valve showed up in the mail... Still waiting on the MAC intake... Going to order the spacer today.. TMHs in about a week :-D

Once intake shows up I'm tearing out the turbo stuff and putting on the intake and flashing truck back to the stock tune as I wait on the other goodies.

Wondering... What kind of gap should I have on my Autolite XP104 spark plugs? .065 be good?

Yeah that sounds right. Should tell you the gap needed on the sticker with the belt routing.

Ok... so, stick with the stock gap... I actually think it is .054... thanks!

Alright... Just ordered Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51520018 Intake Manifold 1" Spacer!

tfs-51520018.jpg

Pretty pricy for a piece of plastic, lol.

Question... If my EGR is already deleted on the truck... And I order some TMH's... Do I even need an EGR tube, or, would I just cap it or something?

you can leave it capped or you can restore it.

I think I will just cap it as I do not even have any of the EGR parts laying around and don't feel like spending money on buying them at this time.

I will still pick up the TMHs with the extended EGR tube though, in the event I do restore it at a later time.

:thumbsup:

I'm hoping I can sell my brand new Precision PW39 39MM External Wastegate PBO085-1000 that I have up on ebay... Once that sells, I will buy my TMHs!! Lol... Have 1 bid on it thus far tho, about 2 days left... Sweet :D

Back