2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have the line pressures checked well. It's more likely the pressure got too high in that line, from a restriction of some kind possibly. Those fitting clips you ordered are simply vibration clamps, to reduce the vibration of the two parts of the connection. I have replaced those many times by a far better aftermarket version, a type that bolt on and stop all vibration/movement.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would have the line pressures checked well. It's more likely the pressure got too high in that line, from a restriction of some kind possibly. Those fitting clips you ordered are simply vibration clamps, to reduce the vibration of the two parts of the connection. I have replaced those many times by a far better aftermarket version, a type that bolt on and stop all vibration/movement.
Right on. I can just take the truck somewhere and have the lines pressure checked?

Yes, most shops will perform that simple test and look for leaks etc. I typically have always done the AC mechanical work first before going to my AC place. I'd visit them with a newly bought vehicle and ask for their opinion, and come back with that done. Then their part is usually just vacuuming the system and restoring the freon and oil.

I ordered new lines, new dryer (guess standard procedure is to replace it any time system had been opened up to atmosphere for a while so probably needed to swap it out anyways).. New lines with new fittings and such prob could use replaced, also a new high side sensor.. I swear I'll get this AC working ONE DAY!! LOL.

Also had some fun annoying my wife when I started up my ZL1 for my buddy and his father in law, lol:

Got around to replacing the parking sensors in the back, made a short video on it, lol

Also removed radio and radio bezel and am beginning work on the replacement bezel. Seems whoever I got it from it had some weird thin coat of some rubber material or maybe plastidip or something and its a total PITA to remove.. so... working on stripping that stuff off and then I will coat it with some thicker coatings of plastidip to make it look pretty good and get it reinstalled plus install the overlays I picked up.

Worked on getting some nice garage lighting put up in garage so I can see what I'm doing. Should have that done this week sometime and can maybe get working on transmission fluid stuff, exhaust patching, etc.

Got around to replacing the parking sensors in the back, made a short video on it, lol

Also removed radio and radio bezel and am beginning work on the replacement bezel. Seems whoever I got it from it had some weird thin coat of some rubber material or maybe plastidip or something and its a total PITA to remove.. so... working on stripping that stuff off and then I will coat it with some thicker coatings of plastidip to make it look pretty good and get it reinstalled plus install the overlays I picked up.

Worked on getting some nice garage lighting put up in garage so I can see what I'm doing. Should have that done this week sometime and can maybe get working on transmission fluid stuff, exhaust patching, etc.

Didn't come stock on my 98 XLT- Optional equipment or what? Would be useful for sure. Nice video.

Didn't come stock on my 98 XLT- Optional equipment or what? Would be useful for sure. Nice video.
Hmm.. Not sure! They were stock on my 2000 XLT. Next I need to replace my abs sensors at the wheels which will, combined with the new parking aid sensors, help get these things working again and eliminate my ABS light, lol. Spent yesterday installing some new lighting in my garage so hopefully when I get the Xploder up on my QuickJack I will have some great lighting! Lol.

2/3's of the way done with the lighting.. One more section of 16' led fixtures on the wall above my toolboxes and then to hook them up to smart outlets so I can control from phone app and/or Alexa and to clean up the wiring and I will be done. Already HUGE improvement in lighting with only 2/3 of the total lighting up, lol :D

The lights I used: https://amzn.to/3LAe1zA
Smart outlets: https://amzn.to/35EdhtX

Finished up the garage lighting... all linked with wifi smart outlets so I can one button press on phone to turn them all on/off which makes it nice as the switches themselves are like 7' up in the air on the walls in tight corners of the garage, lol.

20220405-191329.jpg

Now I can see wtf I'm working on in the garage :D Now to circle back to the Xploder.

Garage lighting video for anyone possibly bored today, HAHA...

Began ripping out the AC lines and what not. Pulled the old accumulator/dryer and charge line, going to pull the compressor and replace it, and pull the big line from the compressor and around the front of the engine bay. Figured at this point I will blast in some of that ac cleaner stuff and compressed air to clean out the evap core and condenser and then put new lines, compressor, and dryer all on and at that point system will be pretty much fresh and I can make sure to add exact amount of oil needed and vac it all down and charge it. Really don't want to blow the dang lines again!! LOL.

Sheesh.. looking into trying to get my super old tune updated and it seems impossible after the EPA crack downs. I have the torque monster headers with no EGR provision and EGR system all nuked and it looks like no tuners work on cars like that any longer :-/

Hadn't had a chance to finish up the ac yet on the Xploder... been busy with the zl1, lol. Middle of installing some carbon fiber exterior pieces (trunk, front splitter, etc).

20220429-204739.jpg

20220502-110622.jpg

I just picked up some Swisstrax flooring tiles for the 2 car garage portion of my garage which I hope to install soon.. will make rolling under the cars 1000x better and I won't be covered in cement dust and dirt, haha.

20220429-113217.jpg

20220429-113315.jpg

They have some wild floor patterns you can setup but I am keeping it simple with a light gray and black checkered look with red transition edging for the entrance into the garage and also at the split between the main 2 car portion of the garage and the 3rd car single bay portion that I won't have flooring in.

Hopefully everyone else in here has been doing well! :D As always, thanks for all of the assistance over the years since I started this thread, haha. Time flies!! Has been almost 11 years, lol.. WOW!

Had some fun adding another (fairly expensive) fan to my garage, lol. Trying to make working on car stuff in the garage not be like working out in a Sauna at 200F, lol!

Finally got around to installing my Anderson Composites cf trunk onto my ZL1... Hoping I can get these installs done on the Camaro and can shift back to the Xploder sooner rather than later, lol.

Hope to install my Swisstrax flooring this weekend and then circle back to getting the Xploder back together :D 3 day weekend so we'll see if I can take advantage of it lol.

Was forecasted to rain so I didn't work on the garage floor as I have to move stuff out into driveway for a long period of time... Of course it DIDN'T rain, lol... But did get some work done on the Xploder... Finally installed the carbon fiber interior overlays as well as the micro suede dash pad. Turned out pretty nice. Also plasti dipped the radio bezel and am swapping stuff over to it as it's not as beat as my old one...

That was after just a few coats of hyperdip from DYC... looks even better after some wet sanding and more coats. Not perfect but huge upgrade over what it's replacing, lol.

The carbon fiber looks great, I'm surprised it didn't included the radio bezel. The painted bezel looks great too, some how I'm lucky that mine has held up.
Rain? We've had nothing but sunshine and wind, wind, wind in SE Texas.

The carbon fiber looks great, I'm surprised it didn't included the radio bezel. The painted bezel looks great too, some how I'm lucky that mine has held up.

Yeah.. no rain over the past few days but looks like it was pushed back from today to maybe tomorrow. Got the grass mowed up, edged, and weed whipped so yard should be good to go at least, lol. Finished up the swap of the radio from the old beat up bezel to the "new" one. Forgot I had to dremel the top and bottom lips for the radio to fit. Hoping my "fixed" clips and everything hold up when I snap everything back to the dash, lol.

IMG-20220530-214758-120.jpg

Looking around I now remember why the kit I got didn't have the radio bezel overlay... the one I went with was the only "real carbon fiber" kit with the nice 3d effect of real carbon fiber versus the flat "fake" hydro dipped style carbon fiber. This is the same quality stuff I added to my ZL1 (for the flex carbon fiber pieces) and looks awesome especially with the light hitting it.. has that nice depth effect and everything. Sadly, that kit doesn't offer the radio bezel. A few other kits offer the radio bezel but are the hydro dipped style flat looking carbon fiber it looks like. Also disappointing is that I cannot seem to find just a radio bezel overlay by itself and not part of a full kit so even if I wanted to maybe go with a flat black overlay it doesn't seem to be an option without going with a full kit :-/

I liked the CF dipping service we got as a group buy in the early 2000's. I still have mine with just the radio bezel in my Mercury. I have waffled on whether to swap to a 4WD, so the bezel I have will be great if I stick with AWD(it has no 4WD switch).

Back