2000 Explorer Sport 2WD Wheel Bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport 2WD Wheel Bearings?

bfiorina

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport 2WD with 96,000 miles. About 15,000 miles ago I started noticing that my truck was having a difficult time driving straight. I took it in for an alignment but it only seemed to lessen the problem. Now I am used to driving my truck and know how to move the wheel to keep it straight, however, the last two people to get behind the wheel of my truck said they would never drive it again b/c they could not control it.

I have a feeling that my wheel bearings may be shot. I am not knowledgeable with 'car smarts' at all and I was hoping that one of you experts could help me out.

Do you think that my wheel bearings are the issue?
Will I just need rear wheel bearings since 2WD?
What kind of cost do you think I am looking at to replace them?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i highly doubt its the rear bearings casusing it...maybe the one who did your alignment didnt check everything over well..could be dragging brakes, shocks, ball joints....some other things, but maybe somone who knows more about it could help or

I would take it to a different shop.

If it's wandering, could be many things like (in the order of most likely, in my opinion):

Ball joints (high mileage Explorers are notorious for them going out)
Tie rod ends (outer and/or inner)
shocks
brakes sticking on one side or the other
stabilizer end-links (kinda stretching here)
bearings

If it were bearings you'd hear a LOT of bad noise before it would effect tracking.

Thanks fellas. I will be taking it in this week. There is no noise so you are both probably right.

By the way, if it is the ball joints what kind of cost am I looking at?

all 4 ball joints + alignment will probably be in the $600-800 range, but prices vary wildly, I've seen from $400 clear up to $1,200 stated in here.

Back