2000 Ford Explorer O/D light blinks on freeway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer O/D light blinks on freeway

nicklloyd47

Reaction score
City, State
SLC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Ford Explorer
Hi all,

I got my tires changed on Saturday and that same night my O/D light started blinking. It only blinks when I drive on the freeway. When I drive around the city and stay on regular streets it stays off/ solid. I checked my transmission fluid and levels and color were normal. The car shifts fine, even when the light was blinking and I just had the transmission checked about a month or two ago. I tried doing some research and some say that speed sensors can be damaged when tires are changed and this can cause the light to blink? Or is this just a sad coincidence? I scanned for codes and the car showed nothing. I tried to ask the tire shop to take a look and they denied doing any damage. Can anyone offer any advice?? I need to know if I should press the tire shop to repair the sensor but I don't know if I can prove that's the case.

Thanks.

I doubt its a sensor and I doubt the tire shop did anything to cause it. If it was a sensor the light would flash all the time, the fact it only flashes on the interstate tells me the problem will most likely be with the torque converter. There is a code stored and its probably something like p0740,p0741. The scanner you are using most likely cannot retrieve transmission codes, I recommend having a shop with a better scanner scan it for you.

Yup same thing that mine does will probably need a new tc eventually which is pricey to replace and you can't change the fluid on these ones either. Sucks

Yup same thing that mine does will probably need a new tc eventually which is pricey to replace and you can't change the fluid on these ones either. Sucks
i dont think not being able to dirrctly change fluid on them is a huge downside, in comparison. mainly since theyre fed the samw fluid as the rest of the trans so by fraining and refilling once it gets some fluid out of the TC, do it a few times it gets it nice and clean in there anyways

Back