2001 XLT D44-SAS | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLT D44-SAS

Ok, I'm going to start this thread since I'm hoping to be done with this by the end of September.

d44-f001.jpg

d44-f003.jpg

Ok, those were the pretty pics...then I cracked the cover off the pumpkin-

d44-f005.jpg

d44-f006.jpg

d44-f007.jpg

d44-f008.jpg

d44-f010.jpg

d44-f011.jpg

The thing had a ton of water inside...no gear oil came out, only water...

Now the questions for all you axle Gurus...

I can rebuild this no problem right?

Are the axle tubes sealed from the pumpkin, or did the water travel down the tubes?

I'd appreciate any opinions on this cause when the water came pouring out I got disgusted and put the cover back on...I'll have at it again tomorrow and start stripping it down.

From what can be seen- any ideas on what would have to be changed right off the bat?

Or am I looking at a total rebuild?

I want to swap out the knuckles and spindles for 5-on-5.5, they're hard to get here...any body know anyplace in Jersey or PA that I could contact and secure some F150 knuckles and spindles?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Particularly since I'm hoping to pick up the springs this weekend. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more reading will always help, thats for sure... but I am interested in how to properly set up the caster angle on a new setup.

All the solid axle write ups I see do not go into detail on dialing in caster...

Or worse yet, measuring wrong and caster is OFF, then you can get that Wobble of death ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, the time has just about come to put her in again and redo some of the stuff I wish I'd done differently.

I bought an 01' E350 XLT 12 seater, very nice truck I might add, and I'll be using that until my Baby is done.

I've accumulated some of the stuff I need, just a few more parts and I'll be good to go and the weather will be ok by then.

First things first- buggy leafs are out and fixed mounts are going in. Does anybody have any recommendations for bushings in the eyelets? I want to get something that's extremely stiff and durable. I recently changed the bushings in the buggy leaf eyelets and they appear to have quite a bit of movement already. Since I'm not planning on running a track bar I'm figuring to use the best possible bushings available.

Second- cut off the spring perches and position the new ones so the pumpkin is twisted where the pinion is pointed perfectly at the Atlas, then I'll probably have to get the front shaft cut down a little.

Cut the knuckles and turn them for the right caster angle.

Cut off the shock mounts and reposition them on the axle for the new angles.

The front leafs ocassionally twist a little when I turn the wheels- I'll probably make some kind of retainer plates that channel around the srping to replace the flat square u-bolt retainer plates that I have.

I'll probably make all new steering links just so everything is new, clean and painted at one time.

Last new bearings, seals, brakes, diff oil (front and rear)...rework the interior...carpet, headliner...oh- and close the hole in the floor around the twin sticks! I saw a nice huge DEEP puddle that spanned half of a huge parking lot and of course I ripped through it- AND GOT SOAKED!

Water was coming up through the hole like somebody shot me with a garden hose. :) :confused:

Good to hear from you, I've been wondering how your X is holding up.

V8BoatBuilder said:
Good to hear from you, I've been wondering how your X is holding up.

It's nice to be sort of back. I bought a house and now the extra wheels, things have been a little hectic, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I can breathe a little.

I'm currently caught up in the make the new vehicle livable phase...stereo a little bit of armor. This is NY and you gotta make'em look like something you don't want to hit or get hit by...it makes it easier to get around town- there's just too many idiots that shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car.

Got a sound system installed (too lazy to do it myself), been back to the shop 3 times for that...just don't care for the sound it's not quite right, I got 1 amp crossed for the subwoofer and they're putting in a 6 channel amp to replace the 4 they installed, 6 kickers 4-5x7s and a pair of 6x9s. Also had a tow hitch installed so I could hang a ball off the rear, it's got that nice big shiney chrome bumper on it and I want it to stay that way. Tinted the windows (privacy glass ain't dark enough). Tomorrow is diamond plate running boards on both sides and the chrome fender protectors. Then a TrailReady bumper for the front. Then I hope I'm done although bigger tires'd be nice, but what's on it are new so that'll wait.

The X is runnin fine and driving ok...I just want it to be 110%, so I'm going to address all the "if I had my druthers" stuff. I'll post progress reports once I actually put her in and under the knife.

My new baby- 01 Econoline 350XLT.

pict0019.jpg

She's gonna cart me around while I tweak the X.

Needs bigger tires on the van :D

snocross1985 said:
Needs bigger tires on the van :D

Exactly what I thought!

I'm thinking of Road Armor front and rear bumpers- they're looking SWEET!

But unless I beef up the suspension I doubt they'd be good for the street.

What ever happened to you? Do you wheel the rig?

Premier said:
What ever happened to you? Do you wheel the rig?

I haven't gotten to tweak her yet...so no offroading this year. I've been doing major construction on the house, had a big cinder block shed buit to replace the home depot tin shed...it holds all my stuff very nicely :) and I had concrete work done in front and in the rear so I've got a nice work area, plus a little addition on the rear of the house.

Now I've got time to sit back and take care of the X. I had to stop driving it because it developed a knock in the driveline. I've narrowed it down to drive shaft, T-Case or tail shaft out of the tranny. :p

If you could call that narrowing it down. :)

I'll be working on it next week. I'll be doing the modifications and everything before it comes back out.

Buggy leafs are coming out and I'm going to cut and twist the knuckles to straighten up the front shaft...then the easy stuff- do some touch up paint here/there on the body, maybe some new carpet...

I'm kinda back... :)

Ok, some changes made since last I was here.

I went shackle forward since it corrected my pinion angle to perfection.

I now have a couple of degrees negative caster.

Rides fine, but I haven't gotten her over 45mph yet. Returns to center after a turn...basically pretty much the same way it did with positive caster.

I was told negative caster is ok as long as there's no shimmy, returns pretty much to center and doesn't wander too much. Positive/negative as long as there's some caster.

As far as strength- knuckles that is, it doesn't matter.

Negative or positive, either way is ok, but positive caster is more finicky about how many degrees as to how it behaves.

Still no trackbar.

I don't doubt I'll have to straighten up my front shocks since they were angled back at the tops for the shackles being to the rear, but it's riding ok for the moment.

I'm thinking I'm ok, anyone else want to chime in with an opinion on the caster thing?

Edited in: I'ma just cut the knuckles and spin'em back to about 6-6.5 degrees positive.

Also have to straighten the shock towers, angled back isn't good for shackle forward.

Hey cdsl227... if you're still around can you attach some pics of your steering box mounted to the frame? Thanks! :cool:

section525 said:
Hey cdsl227... if you're still around can you attach some pics of your steering box mounted to the frame? Thanks! :cool:

I'll take some pics some time today. I've been off the board for a long time, but I'll be bouncing in and out here and there.

One thing though- I would never again go shackle forward. The ride sucks!

convert that van to 4wd

First off great job on the X looks awesome. Visit www.ujointclothing.com the have conversion kits for 1992 thru 2006 Ford vans. Would compliment your X well. By the way my condolences.

Back