2002 4x4 problems | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

Me too!

3 inches of snow this morning, and I finally took my wife's 02 EB to get a paper.

Well, it drives like my old 93 Super Coupe in the snow. Fun for me!!! Not for my wife.

No lights on dash, no clicks, and I'm getting ready to check the fuses. Thanks to all those who have made posts here! I'm getting ready to find a new module on line and make the need repairs. Hope it works!

Now, if I could figure out how to replace my rear passenger window regulator.
Thanks to all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 issues

I don’t know what’s wrong with my 2002 Ford Explorer XLS. My 4x4 doesn’t work. Not only do I not have 4 wheel drive, I actually only have ONE wheel drive. Only my rear driver’s side wheel turns! I found this out when I got stuck in the snow/ice in my OWN driveway! In trying to get out, I saw that snow only spun out of my ONE wheel. I’ve already checked my fuses to see if there was a problem there, but they are fine. I’ve seen a lot about the 4x4 control module, but I actually hear my module click behind the glove box when I engage 4x4Lo in neutral, or 4x4Hi. The light comes on, and as soon as the wheels move, the light turns off. This happens in Hi and Lo. In 4x4Lo the light comes back on as soon as I come to a complete stop. I wondered if it might be related to the speed sensors at the wheels, but if that were the case, it would only seem to affect Auto 4x4, right? I thought maybe my transfer case motor wasn’t working quite right, but I’m not sure that would affect the fact that only ONE of my rear wheels are turning in regular mode. I don’t know WHAT could be the problem. Any ideas?

Hey guys...and girls. I just registered to this forum because alot of the information posted seemed very helpful to members. I have been having 4x4 problems. My 4x4 high light flashes in series of 5-6 times about every 5 min. During this time, my 4 wheel drive will not engage. If i push my 4x4high button, it illuminates on the dash and engages. But, when i push it back to auto4x4, the 4x4high light will flash in a series again. 4x4low seems to work as well. I recently had a bearing go out and thought that was the problem, no go. Checked 4x4 fuses in panel underneath dash as well as the one located under the hood. It turned the light off for about 2 weeks, and now back on after snow fall. The light flashes will continue as long as the truck is on. Any suggestions???

In addtion, when the problem first started, I took it to Aamco transmission, which I DO NOT recommed to anyone. They fixed a transfer case leak, and said the light was due to a rear speed sensor. No go, replaced it twice. It makes me curious if my bearing shorted a sensor. I took it there like 5-6 times, never called and finally said they couldn't figure it out. I have a feeling when 4 wheel drive is engaged, it's stuck on 4x4.

I posted in this thread several months ago, but just never got around to actually doing anything about my non-functioning 4x4 on my '02 XLT.

I just finally checked all the fuses (under the hood and under the steering, but unfortunately those were all fine.

I then pulled down the glove box, and the part number there is:
1L2Z-7E453-AH

Reading this thread again, I (once again) get confused by whether this is the right part number.

When I push the 4x4 buttons, I get nothing, no clicks or anything, so I am assuming that it is indeed the command module that needs replacing.

Can someone confirm whether or not the 1L2Z-7E453-AH is the old part number, or whether that is the right part number that I need to order?

Thanks!

Replaced 4X4 Control Module after lengthy troubleshooting

Dento,
You need your vin number to confirm correct part number.
I too had the dreaded blinking 4X4 lights and no 4X4 capability on my 2002 XLT. I tried every troubleshooting technique recommended on the forum and no success. I also learned in the process that Ford's official 2002 service manuals were INCORRECT! The connectors for the 4X4 control module were wired differently from the manual. I checked the 2003 manual and also another 2002 hard copy from a major Ford dealer and they didn't correctly show the wiring in my Explorer. The dealer half apologized and said it had happened before! I finally ordered the 4X4 CM from Silverstatefordparts for $186.40 total and installed it. IT WORKED! (They will need your vin number to confirm the correct part number for your vehicle!) I was experiencing 3 blinks of the 4X4 high and 4X4 low dash lights every few minutes after startup of the car and on a rare occasion could press the 4X4 high button and get the 4X4 to work/engage. I really didn't think that the control module was the problem - BUT IT WAS! Good luck.

My 2002 Explorer 4x4 wasnot working, no indicator lights low high or auto, fuses ok.
I realized that I had recently disconnected the battery causing the computer to reset.
So I disconnected the battery again and reset the battery per the owners manual. Now it works fine. Hope yours is this simple.

Just joined the forum so HI!!! I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer I bought just under 2 years ago. I realized this past winter that the 4x4 was not working, push the buttons and nothing happens. I think I am going to try the battery thing this week to see if this works, otherwise I will be buying a new control module when I have the money. Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a 2002 ford explorer sport and need to replace the 4x4 control module and checked behind the glovebox and cant find it. Any one know where it is located.

how did you reset it.

The 4X4 curse hits me too

Hi Everyone,
New member. Glad to have this thread. I believe I have the same problem. Pretty darn irritating considering how much money I have sunk into this thing since I got it and it only has 140,000kms on it.

I checked all the fuses, tapped the electric shift motor but I have zero 4wd what so ever. Its all rear wheel drive and we just went through a blizzard with 2 days of straight snow. What a great time for the module to pack it in. I already dumped 4200 into a tranny for this thing and not even a month later this.....
I'll pick one up and try it and it better fix it.

When I start the truck I get the dashboard 4 low indicator that lights up but nothing else. When try the dash switches nothing happens and I definitely have no power going to the front end as she will spin something fierce.

4x4 modulator

Hi Everyone,
New member. Glad to have this thread. I believe I have the same problem. Pretty darn irritating considering how much money I have sunk into this thing since I got it and it only has 140,000kms on it.

I checked all the fuses, tapped the electric shift motor but I have zero 4wd what so ever. Its all rear wheel drive and we just went through a blizzard with 2 days of straight snow. What a great time for the module to pack it in. I already dumped 4200 into a tranny for this thing and not even a month later this.....
I'll pick one up and try it and it better fix it.

When I start the truck I get the dashboard 4 low indicator that lights up but nothing else. When try the dash switches nothing happens and I definitely have no power going to the front end as she will spin something fierce.

Did you get a modulator yet, I have one and it's doesnt fit my explorer sport and is for a explorer. I would take $120 for it.

Anyone looking for a modulator, I have for a 2002 ford explorer, It seems my explorer sport uses older parts and have to get a different one. only asking $120

I'm on track for a new module. Before I drop the big bucks, I want to be sure that I'm not missing something obvious. I've checked (and will re-check) all fuses that have "4WD" or "GEM" in the description. Any other fuses?

I plan to check the numbers on the actual module to make sure I am ordering the correct replacement part. Has anyone tried "ringing out" the old module to make sure it's really dead (or to discover that it does work after all)??? I'd sure love to find a way to simulate a button push to see what happens.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah, I am nervous about spending the money on something that I am not sure is the issue.

My logic is that if it was a speed sensor then there would be a code, if it was the shift motor it would be stuck in one mode or another and I have not 4wd, not even a little front end grip.

These things are bloody outrageous in Canada and am just over the top frustrated with this truck.

Friggin heck I have changed the rear wheel bearings, the rear struts and springs, the tranny and all of this before the spark plugs......

I wonder if a US dealer would send a module up to Canada because the dealers here are out of their mind expensive.

Anyone looking for a modulator, I have for a 2002 ford explorer, It seems my explorer sport uses older parts and have to get a different one. only asking $120

what is the model number of the part?

Okay. I am seeing websites that have different part numbers depending on if you have Control Trac traction control or not. I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer and I don't think I have it because I don't have a button to disable it. I have 3 buttons on the right side of the radio that say 4x4 auto, 4x4 high, 4x4 low.

On ebay a place is selling the one without traction control as part # 2C5Z-7E453-A and the one with traction control as part # 1L2Z-7E453-A.

Is this correct? I want to get a new one, but want to know what I need, as I said I don't think I have traction control unless I am missing something, lol.

Okay. I am seeing websites that have different part numbers depending on if you have Control Trac traction control or not. I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer and I don't think I have it because I don't have a button to disable it. I have 3 buttons on the right side of the radio that say 4x4 auto, 4x4 high, 4x4 low.

On ebay a place is selling the one without traction control as part # 2C5Z-7E453-A and the one with traction control as part # 1L2Z-7E453-A.

Is this correct? I want to get a new one, but want to know what I need, as I said I don't think I have traction control unless I am missing something, lol.

I would try rockauto.com, I'm not for sure what the difference is. I would also check the number on yours, If don't work you don't need in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the other crappy thing, how the heck do you know if you have traction control? I have the same issue in trying to buy one. I have a limited with the tow package and it has the big rear diff but I don't believe it has traction control as I beleive if you do you would have the ability to disable it.

I called 2 dealers and both took my vin and both gave me different part numbers and one was 569 cdn and the other 482.

I'll tell you what, the US Vegas shop is going to get my business. I am all for supporting local business but when they are pirates I'll buy from somewhere else.

Back