2002 Explorer XLT O/D Off Light Flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT O/D Off Light Flashing

skidoofan

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello. I've done some research on the above issue. I test drove this vehicle yesterday and it has 145,000 miles on it. I had a Carfax report run on it and can't see any definite service information about the transmission being serviced. I know that the flashing O/D Off Light should throw a code and could be a multitude of issues. However, I seemed to read some information that may be possible??
This vehicle has sat for sometime without being driven. As in a year or two. Oil was last changed on 11/11/14 at 144,113. Mileage now is currently 145,350. The party is servicing it now for oil change. I'm curious if sitting so long could have effect on the transmission fluid or other drive train issues. Also they had to replace battery in it.

I've checked most all other items. 4WD seems to work in 4 High and 4 Lo by light indicators. Apparently 4 Auto is the main position to drive the vehicle in and is not an option instead of 2 wheel drive? The system lights seem to all come on when vehicle is turned to ON position. But the Front Air Bag and O/D Off light came on flashing after driving it for a short while. Those are the only lights that are on or flashing. I've read where the Front Air Bag light could be the electrical connection under the driver's seat. Possibly moisture related. Prior to the O/D light coming on I did test the O/D Off button on the shifter end. It came on as expected.

The vehicle is pretty clean....no rust and minimal dents/scuffs. The price I would give is reasonable but don't want to have to spend $2500 on a transmission. I see that there is not a dipstick for checking transmission fluid level on these vehicles. What would be the suggestion? It seems that many forums I've read have many conflicting issues with this light issue. Those ranging from transmission service to rebuild/replacement. Some indicated that they still had the light issue after rebuilding or replacing transmission. With the history of these transmissions, is this something I should just walk away from at this time? I know the party that has it doesn't have any history information as it was impounded for the majority of this time. The interior and exterior don't appear to be abused, etc. but with many used vehicles, you never know what to expect. The Carfax last indicates the mileage at 137,213 on 07/23/12. It appears it has been serviced on a regular basis but no info on transmission. I don't know right off hand what the maintenance suggests for this transmission.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Back