O/D Off Light Flashes

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I was test driving a 2000 XLT cause my 94 finally let me down and can't get it to pass emissions. Toward the end of the drive the O/D Off light started flashing. It seems I saw somewhere this indicated a sensor was bad. Will it generate a code in OBD-II? (I'm only familiar with OBD-I). Plus I don't know where a list of those codes is to be found.

I'm leaning towards buying this vehicle due to the price but only if it's not going to cost too much to repair the problem. Can someone please guide me along the way here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was test driving a 2000 XLT cause my 94 finally let me down and can't get it to pass emissions. Toward the end of the drive the O/D Off light started flashing. It seems I saw somewhere this indicated a sensor was bad. Will it generate a code in OBD-II? (I'm only familiar with OBD-I). Plus I don't know where a list of those codes is to be found.

I'm leaning towards buying this vehicle due to the price but only if it's not going to cost too much to repair the problem. Can someone please guide me along the way here?

There should be a code stored in the computer, you will need to find a scanner that is capable of retrieving transmission codes for OBD2 vehicles. Once you have the code you will have a starting point for repairing what ever issue the transmission is having. It is possible to have a bad sensor that is causing the code, it could also be many different things as well.

Once you have the codes post them here in your thread and I and or other members can give you advice on what to expect and you can decide if the vehicle is worth purchasing.

There should be a code stored in the computer, you will need to find a scanner that is capable of retrieving transmission codes for OBD2 vehicles. Once you have the code you will have a starting point for repairing what ever issue the transmission is having. It is possible to have a bad sensor that is causing the code, it could also be many different things as well.

Once you have the codes post them here in your thread and I and or other members can give you advice on what to expect and you can decide if the vehicle is worth purchasing.
So not all OBD-2 Scanners are equal. My friend has one but I don't know if it does transmission codes (don't think he knows either).

So not all OBD-2 scanners are equal then, that's what you're saying I take it. My friend has one but I don't think he even knows if it does transmission codes.

Back