2002 Ford Explorer Sport - Potential Transmission Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport - Potential Transmission Problems

Joseph Townsend

Reaction score
City, State
Seneca
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,

I'm currently looking at buying an '02 Explorer Sport 2WD. I have heard about the transmission problems with the '02-'04 Explorers and wanted to get a few more opinions before making a decision. It currenly has 103,000 miles and looks good as far as the engine goes. I've taking it on two test drives and it runs smooth and shifts without any slipping or delays. There is no popping or craking while driveing ethier. I also believe the 5R55E transmission is in it. Again, another opinion or two would be awsome. Thanks.

Probably going to be the 5R55W as 02 was the first year for that transmission. One quick way to identify is if it has a trans fluid dipstick it is a 5R55E. No dipstick 5R55W/S. they had a lot of torque converter issues early on. I would venture that someone has already been there at some point. If you like the vehicle and know down the road you may have a 2400.00 transmission overhaul then go for it. Good luck!

Back