• Register Today It's free!

2002 power mirror replacement

Plumber66

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey gang . I' changing out my drivers power mirror and the wiring plugs seem to be different . The mirrors were not working and when I took the drivers mirror out I realized that it was not plugged in . Upon further inspection the old mirror and the new one I have both have the same connector which will not fit the connector in the door . Anyone have any idea why or what i can do now ?
1521408419053592779613.jpg
Attached is a pic of wtf I'm talking about . Thought this would be an easy fix ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of the plugs may be for a heated mirror,

I think the other wires are for a light . Which this one doesn' have . I stripped the wires and put them together by color code bit still nothing . I have a bad wire from the fuse box to the weatherproof connector on the door . I' just going to say eff it and set it once and forget about power mirrors.....

Check the wiring going through the door jamb. They have a tendency to break, usually right inside the door. Pull back the convolute over the wires and check them for breaks. Mine had 2 ground wires broken and nothing worked.

Thanks . I checked that weather proof pack yesterday. Have power at the fuse box but then nothing at the pin . So I tried to trace back the wire but it goes to another plug way up in the dash that I cannot reach without dissasembling the whole dash . The wires look ok to me . I appreciate your time man .

You have to take off the door panel to properly check the wires. It's probably okay out of the fuse box. The break in those wires generally is just inside the door where the wires come through from the door jamb. Sometimes the break is outside, but usually you can find it once the door panel is off and you follow the wires inside the door. If you have a meter, do a continuity test from the pin where it plugs into the mirror harness, to the wire inside the black rubber convolute between the door and the body. Once you determine which wire is open, you should be able to find the break. Like I said, it's a common issue. I see it all the time - I'm a parts manager in a Ford dealer.

Back