2002 XLT Transmission noise

-=John=-

Reaction score
City, State
Adelaide, South Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
G'day from Australia :D

I own a 2002 XLT V8 with an auto transmission.
It's the first Explorer I've owned and I'm quite happy with it but I have noticed a strange noise that seems to be comming from the transmission.

I'm guessing that it's the transmission because the noise is related to gear shifts. It's a bit hard to describe... it happens when I accelerate in the first 3 gears (iirc) and seems to go quiet during an upshift.
It almost sounds like I'm driving a diesel manual truck :confused:

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

-John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tough one to call based on your description John. Could also be transfer case though.

Is it normal for it to be making any noticable noise ?
When it's *not* making the noise...I can hear the exhaust note of the V8, but when it *is* making the noise (ie when it's not in the middle of a gear shift)...all I can hear is the noise.

It's very noticable even from outside the car. I've watched my wife drive off in it and it dead set sounds like a manual diesel and not a v8 auto.:eek:

-John

can you explain the noise a bit better? Does it seem like it takes a bit of time in between the shifts(during the shift.) Does it sound like a rattle? I ask this because I have become quite an expert on the 3rd gen transmission, not by choice, just beacuse mine has had so many tranny problems.

Yeah it seems to take a second or so to shift.
I don't know how to describe the sound...the closest sound I can think of is that of a smooth diesel engine...kind of rattly but not like a delivery truck :confused:.
I guess it's a cross between a rattle and a grind ?

I would like to get to the bottom of it since I just bought the car and it's under warranty.

Does anyone notice a definite sound that stops during gear shifts ?

I'll try to record it somehow.

EDIT: I just uploaded a video I took. You can hear it in the background (ignore the loud rattles and bumps *damn aussie roads + crap in the drink holders :p*)...look at the tacho, you can see that the sound stops when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and then starts again...but then fades out and starts again after the shift to 3rd. I haven't noticed it doing it in 4th or 5th...it's just quiet.

Download Video (4.8 MB)

-John

transmision noise

I would definitly get it in the shop. Some common things for them to look at are the solenoid pack, the fluid upgrade and reprogramming of the transmission. Although none of these would really fix the sound you are describing. Does the engine shake at all during this time? Do you notice any fluid leaking from the bottom? It sounds like a timing issue with the shifts. Sorry I cant be of better help. GOOD LUCK

Wow, thats not the noise I thought it would be. I am not sure what that is, but I have never heard that before. Get it in the shop ASAP, make sure you are in the car with the service rep so he can hear it with you.

I dropped it back to the dealer today...I'll let you know how it goes / what they find.

I don't have much confidence in them though because the last time they serviced it, they overfilled the transmission.
Then as I was driving across the Hay Plains (few hundred kms of nothing in the middle of NSW Australia) towing a 2 tonne trailer...the car caught on fire :eek:

The transmission fluid got hot, overflowed out of the breather and ran down onto the cat converter and caught alight. God only knows how I managed to put it out with 1 litre of water. It was a miny pyrotechnic extravaganza under my bonnet :rolleyes: .

Oh the joy :fire:

-John

The transmission is currently out of the X and the torque converter has been sent off to be inspected.

Looks like it might be the culprit.

-John

yeah thats defineltly a unique noice.

keep us posted!!!

My X is making the same sound and Ford says its the converter. Apparently that buzzing sound is normal but should not be as exaggerated as it is in mine and should barely be heard.
Quoted me at $2000 Cdn. don't know whether to do it now or wait till spring considering my windows will be up for the next 5 months. See what happens any advice.

All I hear is what sounds like a golf bag in the back with clubs rattling together, and then a bullfrog here and there...

montyf1 said:
My X is making the same sound and Ford says its the converter. Apparently that buzzing sound is normal but should not be as exaggerated as it is in mine and should barely be heard.
Quoted me at $2000 Cdn. don't know whether to do it now or wait till spring considering my windows will be up for the next 5 months. See what happens any advice.

that price seems nuts... a VERY nice aftermarket bullet proof TQ goes for around $800.. with a MUCH higher stall (in case you need that quick take off).

Cdaddy78, can you hear what sounds like the engine in the background ?

It's not the engine. You can't hear any engine noise at all from under the bonnet...just the exhaust burble of the V8.
That sound is actually coming from the gearbox.

I'm still waiting for news from the dealer..might be a few days yet though.

Heh they gave me a courtesy car with a courtesy bag of buds in the glovebox :p

-John

awdrocks said:
that price seems nuts... a VERY nice aftermarket bullet proof TQ goes for around $800.. with a MUCH higher stall (in case you need that quick take off).
Thanks for the info but no I would never get my TQ swapped by ford. There are to many reputable tranny shops around here and haven't checked but am sure it wouldn't be near that price.
Didn't know there were aftermarket TQ's though will check into it.

montyf1 said:
Thanks for the info but no I would never get my TQ swapped by ford. There are to many reputable tranny shops around here and haven't checked but am sure it wouldn't be near that price.
Didn't know there were aftermarket TQ's though will check into it.

This is the man for torque converters:

Allen (Dirtydog on tccoa.com)
513 732 0078 He has done a bunch of work on these explorers.

He will set you up.

-=John=- said:
Heh they gave me a courtesy car with a courtesy bag of buds in the glovebox :p

-John

Now THAT is service right there...

Turns out it WAS the torque converter. They installed a new one.
I'll probably pick up the X this afternoon or monday.

-John

-=John=- said:
Turns out it WAS the torque converter. They installed a new one.
I'll probably pick up the X this afternoon or monday.

-John

good deal

Got the X back today...not as quiet as thought it would be, but that noise is gone.
Apparently some springs collapsed inside the converter ?
They also pulled the back of it appart to fix a "clunking" noise in the dual aircon ...while they were at it they noticed that the rear window hindges hadn't been replaced...I've gotta take it back to get that done for free too :D

Warranty is a good thing :thumbsup:

-John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear hinges?

I was curoius to find out more about the rear hinges, was there a recall, or tsb about them? I noticed mine are crooked, the X was in the shop for a rattling noise that I thought was the hinges but they said it was a loose rear door panel, but I noticed my hinges are way off, is thi similair?

Thanks

Back