2003 Crash Sensor Location / Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Crash Sensor Location / Replacement

elkbuster

Reaction score
City, State
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Just replaced the crash sensor assembly on my Explorer after getting a flashing "42" code on the air bag light on the dash. Light would flash the code 3 or 4 times and then stay on. Also, got a diagnostic code using a scanner but I can't remember what it was. After lots of research on this forum and other places I determined that I probably had a corroded front air bag sensor (truck has 185,000 on it). Seems to be a pretty common problem in these vehicles. The repair guide I followed was posted here which is essentially to replace the assembly by going up through the bottom of the vehicle with a long extension to get at the bolts. There is a plastic shield (held in place by three plastic pieces). If pull those pieces and push back the shield you'll see the sensor, bolts and electronic connector. Remember to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before working on this so you don't accidentally set off the air bags. I bought the whole assembly as I did not think I could the sensor bolt free (see picture). Best price I could find on the assembly was about $95. The bolts were tough to get off but they finally came free. Also check for corrosion in the connector when it is removed. Lubed the bolts up and put the new assembly in. No more yellow lights. See pictures for location (my hand is on the sensor when I reach into the grill area) and part number. Also, you can use a small mirror to get a look at the sensor without taking anything apart. Mine looked pretty bad when I did that. I also sprayed Liquid Wrench on the bolts for 3 days before I attempted to remove them.

2003 Crash Sensor Location.jpg

2003 Crash Sensor Assembly.jpg

Back