2003 Sport Trac - Randomly Blows Fuse while in Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac - Randomly Blows Fuse while in Park

Jtkowtko

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sportrac
Greetings.

I have a 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4.0 SOHC that I purchased new and it's been a fantastic vehicle. It has 232,000 miles on it and still going strong with NO major part replacements to date.

Recently, it has started to "randomly" blow the fuse that controls "Climate/Compass/Cruise/4WD/Directionals/P-Interlock". I have done some troubleshooting to see what could be causing it and I've come up empty. It ONLY blows when the truck is in Park. So, for example, I can put a fuse in it and drive 300 miles and it works just fine. I start the truck to warm it up and leave it in park and it eventually blows (random times between a few seconds and several minutes). It is a 7.5 amp fuse and when it's working it does fine on a 5 amp and even a 3 amp fuse.

I suspect that the Parking Interelock may be the culprit but I've never had a problem putting it in or taking it out of gear, fuse blown or not. I haven't been able to find anything on the "interwebs" that explains how that part of the circuit works so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight and could help me with the following:

1. How does the parking interlock work and is it a factor in this issue?
2. Why would it NEVER blow while driving
3. If something is shorting out, is it potentially something to do with the gear shift or interlock?

Need help please!

-Joe

Back