2004 Explorer Cold Starting Problems HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hunter Chofon

Reaction score
City, State
reno, nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 FORD EXPLORER
I had a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

When it gets cold it is super hard to start the car.

The car will crank but wont catch, eventually after several tries I can get the car to catch.

one of three things will happen, the car will start and go to idle no problem and be ready to drive
second it will rev up go to idle and then slowly lose RPMs and stall out.
or finally it will do something extra weird. the car will rev up like its starting but its almost like the engine isnt touching anything on the transmission I can see the RPMs on the gauge rise but the car isnt shaking and i can hear a spinning noise like drill and then the car will slowly lose RPMs and stall out... super weird and hard to explain.

I dont want to do any more harm to the car by taking 15 min to start it each time. And I need some guidance on where to start because my guess is low fuel pressure/bad fuel pump. (Im probably far off)

if anyone could help me/give me some tips to start the car I would be totally in your debt.

PS I put a bottle of HEET in the tank after filling it if my fuel lines are freezing

Thanks again,
Chofon

Back