2004 explorer limited 4.6l. Wont idle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer limited 4.6l. Wont idle.

mr.lock

Reaction score
City, State
LEBANON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer, Limited.
I recwntly purchased this explorer it has 242,000. And had sat for abround 5 yrs. This is a one owner vehicle and is in immaculate condition aside from the miles. I drove this around allday before buying it. After i paid for it, it went 200 fwet and died. Im sure the problem is just from sitting. Now.... In my quest to drive thus sweety i have changed all coils, plugs,fuel pump, tps, and the actual throttle mechanism. Have not changed ege yet or intake. This truck will start right up, idle somewhat in surges, and die. When i try to restart it it acts like an engine with bliwn head gaskets. Befire all of this it would idle rather strangly and i had no throttle. Thats why i changed the mech. Im aware that the new throttle need to be recalibrated. Im teying to but the pcm will not release the "limo mode" also not that the fuel filter was original and the insides were completely disolved in old fuel. I flushed the tank when i replaced pump. New filter, the works. Go im getting fuel and spark but this thing will not stay running. Whats next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the AC work? The compressor bearing may have locked up with the clutch

Does the AC work? The compressor bearing may have locked up with the clutch
No idea. Wont run long enough.itll start... Runs for about 10 seconds. And dies.

cats blocked....?

No idea. Wont run long enough.itll start... Runs for about 10 seconds. And die
Do you smell burning rubber? Could be the drive belt rubbing on a stuck pulley. Try running it without the drive belt and see what happens. Do this only when the engine is cold though because the water pump won't be driven without the belt, and don't run it for more than a minute or so. Also, with the belt off check the pulleys and see if any of them are stuck

I recwntly purchased this explorer it has 242,000. And had sat for abround 5 yrs. This is a one owner vehicle and is in immaculate condition aside from the miles. I drove this around allday before buying it. After i paid for it, it went 200 fwet and died. Im sure the problem is just from sitting. Now.... In my quest to drive thus sweety i have changed all coils, plugs,fuel pump, tps, and the actual throttle mechanism. Have not changed ege yet or intake. This truck will start right up, idle somewhat in surges, and die. When i try to restart it it acts like an engine with bliwn head gaskets. Befire all of this it would idle rather strangly and i had no throttle. Thats why i changed the mech. Im aware that the new throttle need to be recalibrated. Im teying to but the pcm will not release the "limo mode" also not that the fuel filter was original and the insides were completely disolved in old fuel. I flushed the tank when i replaced pump. New filter, the works. Go im getting fuel and spark but this thing will not stay running. Whats next?
Any noises the first time it died? At that mileage I’d be a little concerned it jumped time. And you said your getting fuel and spark? You got 2/3 the things you need to run then. If able I’d run a compression test next. With fuel and spark you can narrow it down to either timing or compression

Do you smell burning rubber? Could be the drive belt rubbing on a stuck pulley. Try running it without the drive belt and see what happens. Do this only when the engine is cold though because the water pump won't be driven without the belt, and don't run it for more than a minute or so. Also, with the belt off check the pulleys and see if any of them are stuck
They are all good. I had someone crank the key while i watched.
Any noises the first time it died? At that mileage I’d be a little concerned it jumped time. And you said your getting fuel and spark? You got 2/3 the things you need to run then. If able I’d run a compression test next. With fuel and spark you can narrow it down to either timing or compression
Will do. Ty

Back