2004 Ford Explorer not starting - PATS system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer not starting - PATS system?

residentcorvid

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Truck Explorer
My 2004 Ford Explorer isn't starting, battery and starter have both tested fine and I've just replaced the starter relay to no results. I've read some threads on here about it possibly being the PATS system? This issue started after the battery died one night, for the first time since I've owned the car (left the glovebox open). Got the battery charged back up and still nothing, though the rest of the electronics turn on.

However the security light isn't flashing, instead it's just constantly on. Could it still be the PATS system?

If it is, whats the best option besides taking it to the dealership? I got the car used and it only came with one key, and I live in a remote town, 100 miles from the nearest dealership. Any chance I could just buy a new key from a locksmith?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the answer, but I doubt you can make a new key without having two keys in the first place.

Do you have ForScan and a connector -- It's a way to read the computer. My PATS on my '99 F150 went bad and it showed up. And I only know the basics of using it. It's a free system for basic use. Forscan.org.

The light *should* blink rapidly if it's PATS preventing starting.

I'd hook up a scan tool capable of Ford specific codes and see if any are generated.

What were the specific steps you took when you found the battery drained? If it was left connected to the vehicle while charging, you should at least disconnect it and ensure it has a fair charge before reconnecting. I'd also put a multimeter on the battery cable clamp and see if voltage is dropping excessively when you try to crank (start) it.

Forscan app (with the free trial, extended license) running on a Windows host computer, and an ELM327 based dongle, can program in new keys when you only have one. Do make sure the new key is unique, not a "clone" key that uses a battery to mimic the first one, and then once you have two unique key IDs programmed in, can in the future add more keys using the method in the owner's manual without any extra equipment to do so. Even so, if the light isn't flashing rapidly, I doubt PATS is the problem.

If you can dig up a wiring diagram then you can see where power is stopping, might want a helper to turn the key while you probe with a multimeter.

Just because a battery tests good doesn't make it so. If it ran down, the likelihood of it being the problem is high. Have you tried to jump start it?

Back