2004 Hood - Aluminum Corrosion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Hood - Aluminum Corrosion

gshep12...yes i understand to whom your comments are directed and why. I think your contribution here is excellent and likely to be helpful to anyone that reads this post. My comments are also for os1kne as well as any other reader of this thread. They are of my personal experiences and are intended for a more general understanding in regard to possible issues with any repair involving aluminum.

I also strongly agree with your position toward Ford, or any brand when it comes to blatant defects and the manufactures refusal to correct the problem under warranty. I have been, and prefer to remain loyal to Ford. So far I've had great service from my Ford vehicles. However i do understand why some folks will never again or never in the first place buy a Ford; but this is a topic for a entirely different post.

Its great to have a community of people willing to help complete strangers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been "inactive" for a while due to family issues, but I appreciate the responses.

I went to 3 separate Ford dealers (TSB in hand) and was told "no" and that they were aware of the problem by each of them.

I bought the vehicle prior to moving to this area - if I had purchased from a local dealer they would likely be more inclined to help.

I'm not anti-Ford, very much the opposite - but I do think that it's poor business to admit that you had a problem that caused a defect with thousands of vehicles and do nothing to remedy the problem (unless the problem occured during warranty).

I'm not going to say anything more about it, because IMO it's fairly simple. This experience won't prevent me from buying another Ford, but it may make me more likely to consider buying from a different auto maker.

I just found this same problem on my 05. That really ticks me off!
I was just talking about how vehicles are so much better than they used to be in terms of rusting.

I just found this same problem on my 05. That really ticks me off!
I was just talking about how vehicles are so much better than they used to be in terms of rusting.

No Rust! its Aluminum. yea it sucks, really nice truck and then the hood bubbles, . . .like i said earlier post, might just get around to putting that bug shield on this summer. . .imho.

That's a good point, but it still looks bad! Hopefully it doesn't chip before I sell it someday. Not sure I want to put a bug shield on there, but might have to!

Here is my solution. Mine is right above the passenger side headlight. The dealer said that it was not covered under warranty or corrosion warranty. I had about 65K on my 03 this summer when I tried to get her fixed. The quote to repaint was $1100, the cost of the bug shield at Pep Boys, on sale, was $35.

It looks just OK, I guess the bonus is less bugs on the windshield!!

beachwithgagaandpop7108.jpg

me too :(

I was out waxing my 06 explorer and noticed the paint is bubbling above the passenger headlight right at the crease in the hood. I emailed Ford but I already know their answer so I'll be stopping by the body shop today for an estimate

jeez, you would think by '06 they would have it handled, by now.

Thanks Berg87,
My post was actually intended for os1kne. I beleive he posted a question with regard to the paint issue. My repair was done in early spring 08 under the warranty, my response was merely to state how I approached Ford in that situation. I took the Service Bulletin with me to the Dealer which I'd like to think gave me a little amunition at 66k or 67k miles to deal with the issue. I was out of Basic warranty but within the 5yr, 100k warranty for rust and performation coverage. The Bulletin was presented in order to let them know I was aware that they knew they had this problem and they needed to honor my repair based on that. There's a gray area with respect to the paint warranty and the aluminum corrosion problem that many have faced; but a defect is a defect and I don't think Ford can just turn their backs on that, not without reprecussion.

so...approach this with the dealership using the rust/preformation angle? not a paint issue. my dealership also quoted me $1000 and offered a 70/30 split. it would cost me $300 to hav e the repair done according to Ford's specs. this means that they would replace the bad metal and repaint, correct?

thanks in advance for any help.

Back