2005 Explorer Alternator ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Alternator ?

zanesmaandpa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
On Sunday, my 2005 Explorer would show the battery warning and I would lose power steering when turning the wheel. It seemed to happen mostly when I was first starting the car. We replaced the alternator and it is still doing this. When I start the car everything is fine until I turn the wheel to back up or go forward. The battery light flashes and chimes and the power steering goes out. As soon as I get actually going it will stop. We took back the new alternator and got another one. This newest one was tested before installing. Its doing the same thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That issue has nothing to do with your alternator. The steering is hydraulic powered by the power steering pump. Sounds like the belt is slipping and therefore power steering and alternator can't deliver.

What motor do you have?

That issue has nothing to do with your alternator. The steering is hydraulic powered by the power steering pump. Sounds like the belt is slipping and therefore power steering and alternator can't deliver.

What motor do you have?

It is a 6 cylinder. Could it still be a belt even though when we run the test it shows the Alt is bad?

What test shows the alternator is bad?

Have you had the harmonic balancer replaced? The original ones on the V6 fail and Ford had to make a better part to replace the weak one with.

Your battery may have drained below 12 volts because of your bad alternator. This will put a strain on the new alternator and could damage it if it's trying to bring the battery up past 12 volts. Check the voltage on the battery. You may have to use a battery charger to get it up to the proper voltage. The battery may be able to start the vehicle but the voltage may be too low to keep the vehicle running under load.

He doesn't have an issue until he turns the wheel. That involves power steering. Nothing to do with the alternator. The power steering is a big load when turning. It is slowing the belt down so much that the alternator can no longer charge.

You could have a bad belt, bad harmonic balancer, etc

Back