• Register Today It's free!

Shorts34

Reaction score
City, State
Germansville Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer XLT 4.0
Afternoon fellas.

So I have been over more posts in this forum than I can count and I can’t find a solve to my issue.

02 explorer xlt 4.0 motor sat for 2 years and had the need to resurrect. Did a bunch of work to her simple stuff brakes, rotors, calipers, new battery etc. Battery light it on and won’t clear pulling code P1246. Pulled an alternator from the junk yard that looked good and was stock didn’t work. Bought a new alternator (reman) battery light still on. Clean every ground I could find and the battery cables/terminals, tested battery with a multimeter while running and the alternator is not charging the battery. Got a second battery (new) still no help. Replaced the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner (was frozen) nothing. This is leading me to believe there is a short somewhere but I can’t find it. No signs of chewed or frayed wires visible and no blown fuses I can find. Not sure if it’s significant but randomly on some start ups the oil pressure gauge will flatline at zero but other times will read correctly. I will also throw this in the mix I cleaned the connector at the alternator and the battery light went out until I turned on my headlights, did this again with the multimeter on the battery and while the battery light flashes or goes out completely I’m still only reading 12.4 at the battery before and after starting. I’ve been to every advanced and auto zone in a 50 mile radius and none of them can bench test the alternator because their machine doesn’t work or they don’t have the adapter for the ford alternator. At this point I realize it could still be a bad alternator but honestly gut feeling says it’s something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m $500 deep in this thing already. Side note I’m an arm chair mechanic and while I get by electrical systems and wiring is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

Also want to add that tested with a meter from the positive post to the alternator with a very low reading and replaced the connector that plugs into the alternator.

Back