2006+ Explorer HID System Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006+ Explorer HID System Tips

Hey guys, I'm TRS/DGM David from Theretrofitsource.com and dropgearz.com (facebook.com/dropgearz) and I just wanted to drop some tips for owners of 2006+ explorers. That means 2006 to the current Explorer. First things first, i recommend a retrofit to any halogen reflector housing. or halogen projector. Anyhow, i'm not one of those people who is going to blast you for not retrofitting, i'd rather educate its benefits.

The canbus options, and the morimoto resistors will not work on the truck especially if you have automatic lights.

You will need:
- 4 Resistors (one per low beam and one per high beam). They need to be 50W 6Ohm Resistors. Found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hm resistor&qid=1445624834&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
- HD Relay or relay of your choice to properly control and balance the HID System. You want to use a relay, it can be the difference between oddly burning out your HID system every year or replacing it every 4-7 years. My 2001 Sport has had the same kit since 2007. My 08 Trac has had the same ballast for years now.
- Properly mount the relays and ballast, floating parts die quick
- Properly mount the resistors to avoid any problems from wiring and heat (if you decide to do like i did and tap into your wiring harness, use double walled heat shrink to seal and waterproof all connections)
- Tuck away any loose wire from the additional harness with zipties to secure them

Back