2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 Fuel Pump Wiring Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tech7000

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLS
I recently replaced the Fuel Pump in a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. It ran briefly and then the fuel pump stopped coming on when I turn on the key - no sound / no start.

I replaced the Fuel Pump Driver Module and that seemed to do it for a day then once again a no start - could not get the fuel pump to start up.

I proceeded to check the fuses, relay etc and all checked out fine however I replaced the FP Relay and fuse for the pump and injectors as well as the 2 am fuse under the dashboard that controls the relay. Still no start on the fuel pump.

I then checked the obvious, the fuel pump safety switch reset and that has power.

I unplugged the Fuel Pump Driver Module and tested for power - both power and ground were good.

I then jumped the driver plug and the fuel pump started fine and the car started as well -

The Driver Module has 4 wires + 2 small wires going back to the Computer. According to the wire diagram those 2 small wires control the fuel pump as needed for acceleration to idle -

Question: Does anyone know what would cause the computer not to send a signal to the Drive Module to start the pump?

Question 2: If I remove the plug from the Drive Module and jump it directly the pump will run constant, is this safe to do or will I damage the fuel pump?

revised.jpg

Back