2007 Explorer Sport Trac Press Kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Sport Trac Press Kit

This is what the H3 has going for it. It has a frame, 220HP, manual tranny, 4:56 gears, 4.03:1 transfer case for a final crawl of 69:1, live rear axle, 111.9" wheelbase, 33" tires from the factory, and a rear locker. All that for about 10k less than what a loaded Explorer costs :eek:

As I said, pull off the plastic fenders add some good sliders and you're ready to rock with the best of 'em. Yeah, I know it's a "Hummer", but to me the H3 is the most capable of the bunch H1 included. The H1's are too wide for most of the trails I run so what good is it.

GM definately built a contender. Too bad I HATE GM products as a whole...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll second that! The H3 has some serious ability! Some where I have a 4wheeler magazine with spy photos of the H3 (pre-production) on the Rubicon. I only know of one other company who try out there stuff on the "Rubicon". I don't a stock xtera could make it, but I do think the xtera has something going for it. Besides I heard this morning that the xtera got Motor Trend SUV of the year.......Again! :rolleyes:

i would love to buy one. if i do, i would replace front grill off 2006 explorer limited. it has straight bars and no nosil (spell?)

i would love to buy one. if i do, i would replace front grill off 2006 explorer limited. it has straight bars and no nosil (spell?) :D

I dont think it looks that bad i just wish they made it an actual truck and not given it IRS

too bad the H3 has the Colorado frame! It's a toothpick compared to other mid size trucks on the market, the I-force 5 = yikes!
I force 5 was an Isuzu reject saved by Chevy and sent to the states, what I dont get is that if the S-10 platform ever had ANYTHING going for it it was the Vortec 4.3L, and they took it away in favor of a I5?? Noooooo!! hahaha

I am sure the H3 is a good out of the box wheeler, better then a new Ranger Edge I am sure on the trail, but that Ranger is a better truck IMO, 4.0L SOHC, 5 speed, gears and locker and I'd take the ranger any day of the week!

BigDave!!! said:
I dont think it looks that bad i just wish they made it an actual truck and not given it IRS

total garbage lol..

my 2002 is a truck and yes it has IrS...
like it much better than a solid axle..

I dont mind IRS, as long as the axle shafts arent running through the frame--making it unliftable.

justin146 said:
I dont mind IRS, as long as the axle shafts arent running through the frame--making it unliftable.

then buy a 1994 with a solid axle front adn rear..
i have a 2002 and love it to death. if i want a lifted one i will own an earlier year also. oh wait a minute i do and yes it is a lifted 2wd..

i do not mind them putting the axle shafts thru the frame. if that is what it takes to get the ride it is giving me. so be it..

you know what i meant lol

And I think-since it shares a platform with the Discovery 3- it should have some of the Rovers off road features....like hill descent control, lockers, so on.

dreamr said:
Ford just needs to get off their but and re-create the Bronco for us. Keep it about the size of a 90's Cherokee Sport and put a D44 up front/9" out back.
5.0 to 4r70w for the drivetrain with a twin stick t-case. :D :D :D

think the bronco was a bad bad idea..

Why? It always has been, and still is, one of Ford's best entries into the offroad SUV world. Look at the EB....BII.....the big broncos can be forgotten, but I still see a hell of a lot of em built up.

We need an all new Bronco to compete with the jeeps and hummers of the world. Think about it, with the current Idependent Suspension trend there will soon be nothing left. Front have all most all become IFS in the last 10 year. Now they are slowly switching over the rear ends as well.

What is really left for someone who wants to build a crawler, but would like a good platform to start with that doesn't require 2 axle conversions............There is only the Wrangler to my knowledge, and that won't last long before they IFS and IRS it...

I am waiting for the 07 Sport Trac to replace my '02 Ranger FX4 as my daily driver. Why not just buy an F150? It's too big for my attached garage.
If I want something to do serious wheeling in I'll just fire up the '75 Bronco. I swapped in a 393 stroker and NV3550 5-speed. It runs on 35's with a D44 up front and a 9in out back with a Detroit Locker and 4.11's. No worries mate. ;)

really i first thought the same as many of you with the IRS but everyone complained about the IFS when it came out and eventually people found tricks to easy mods. any car manufacturer design a car to get as many people to buy it as possible without sacrificing sales of another model it sells. look at the consumer market today...its not what it was even 5-10 years ago. people want to beable to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. look at electronics...lots of cell phones/computer/digital camera that are all in one now. so most people dont just buy an explorer or ST for a toy they drive it on the road every day and want/need something safe and practical. when a soccer mom runs down a highway embankment and flips her suv it looks bad for the company (ie firestone fiasco) so they are going to design it to be more stable and less for offroad use...not to say you cant flip a new x, but they arnt as squirlly as gen1 and 2...and if you look at them in stock form they arnt any less capable off road then the old ones...with gen1 you still had to at the minimum put different tires on them and even then the vast majority of them had 3.55 gears in them so then you had no torque. I think the new ST is pretty darn capable for them being as tame on the road as they are. the xterra and tacoma are definately more offroad machines but they are much less on road machines with much higher center of gravity than the ST.
with that said...i wouldn't buy one. the reason being quality of the interior and fit/finnish it seems like ford is regressing into mid 80's interior quality. yea im going to pay an extra $800 for a "wood grain interior". when did trees become made of plastic? i guess they are harvesting the ones growing on old landfills and next to chemical plants. even the linclon navigator and mark lt dont have real wood. the ST i drove was the one they had in the showroom and it did ride very nice(much better than my 05) but i could definatly tell that after about 15-20k/mi that there would be lots of rattles and squeeks from the plastic coming loose. my 05 that i got back during the employee priceing in october has squeeks now (just over 20k) as compared to my 96 with 160k and the only squeek isnt even interior related its the rear floor against something with either the shock tower or spare tire carier. and with GM dragging everyone down the crapper with them its no wonder quality has suffered. bottom line is i keep a car for a long time and take care of them and i think unless something changes in the next 5 years or so my 05 will be the last ford i buy sadly enough. i guess im gonna have to be "turnin japanesea" ie toyota

Test drove one today.

Rides like a car. Silky smooth.

V-8 has loads of power. Has traction control, so just a little chirp from the tires from start.

The camel interior is too bright for me, going with dark charcoal. The exterior will be dark cherry!

Hopefully my Pop will be getting it in about a month, unless they need to order it.

yeah i have serious concerns that the quality will match or excede that of my 95 MazRanger, which has made it thus far with only a carrier bearing going out, probably from my tendency to push the 4 litre a bit hard on the highway.

Still it wont be for serious offroad, all the crawlers i know have jeeps, toyotas, rovers and stuff that suck at daily commute driving and garage parking which is what i do. Concerned that i wont see the life from the EST without the little noises and things that fordkrazy eluded to. Well if it does turn out to be crap i can always get rid of it, but it will be disappointing, because this thing has everything i wanted that the Ranger didnt have, ie 4x4, v8, 4dor's and even more bells and whisltes.

The ranger has been a very servicable little workhorse(pony), and i will miss it! If the Sporttrac can match it for longevity it will be remarkable, reading the manual does not inspire confidence that things like the digital mileage indicator will work with any accuracy. Also the manual makes no mention of the 6 speed trany that is supposed to be standard w/ the v8.

I was mostly interested in a quad Lariat but with gas prices and the cumbersome parking, the smaller Explorer just made sense. The ride seems remarkable and the lack of road noise (compared to the ranger) is very welcome. I notice Ford claims to have applied much of the same kind of improvements made to the F150 cab insulation a few years back. Better late than never i guess.

Btw i loved the orginal Bronco, the family had a 74 w/ 302 automatic, man i was peoed when they traded it for my brothers truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back