2007 Explorer Transmission "slams" when I hit the gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Transmission "slams" when I hit the gas

fastchick

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
I got my son a really great Explorer for his first car that is in otherwise amazing shape. However, sometimes when I get on the gas a little bit, it "slams" into gear. I thought maybe it was an overdrive problem and started turning that off to see if it made a difference. Still slamming... Not always, but enough that I need to get it some attention. Any input would be most excellent and appreciated before I walk into a shop and just get taken advantage of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. First thing to do would be to park it on a level surface when the engine is up to operating temp & check the level of the trans fluid on the dip stick & also the color of the fluid.

Welcome to the forum. Is the engine a V6 4.0 or the 8 cylinder. It matters because the different engines use a different transmission.

Does it only do it when starting out or does it slam the higher gears too?

make sure you check the play in the u joints front and rear driveshafts this is often an over looked problem which makes people think the trans is having problems because it only makes this slam when going from park or reverse when the slack is just right..... always worth checking first since its a $15 fix for the front or $30 fix for the rear

make sure you check the play in the u joints front and rear driveshafts this is often an over looked problem which makes people think the trans is having problems because it only makes this slam when going from park or reverse when the slack is just right..... always worth checking first since its a $15 fix for the front or $30 fix for the rear
It almost never slams when changing gears, just when driving and trying to hit the gas pedal a little. Would that still apply?

Does it only do it when starting out or does it slam the higher gears too?
It seems to do it more when just trying to get up to speed, but it has happened on the highway when I got on the gas a little and tried to pass.

Let's try to eliminate one easy things. Open the hood and start the engine.
Have your son stand off to the side of the vehicle NOT IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE.

Press down on the brake and put the transmission into drive DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE.

Press down on the gas pedal a little while still holding down the brake pedal down.

The engine should move (twist) very very little. If the engine jumps up and comes down hard you have a bad engine mount. Do NOT let the vehicle move forward when you do this.
Again know one should be standing in front of the vehicle. Sometimes you can see the engine from the inside the vehical.

Once again, check the u-joints and fluid level.

Let's try to eliminate one easy things. Open the hood and start the engine.
Have your son stand off to the side of the vehicle NOT IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE.

Press down on the brake and put the transmission into drive DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE.

Press down on the gas pedal a little while still holding down the brake pedal down.

The engine should move (twist) very very little. If the engine jumps up and comes down hard you have a bad engine. mount.
Awesome! I will try that when he gets home! Thank you! Be back later. :)

You might try watching this video. See if his remedy fits your situation. Turns out it wasn't a transmission problem at all.

Back