2007 FJ Cruiser - Lifted and locked - 410Fortune wifes rig build thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 FJ Cruiser - Lifted and locked - 410Fortune wifes rig build thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like what you did with the wiring using the plugs. The high lift jack looks good up there, are those billet mounts for it?

Hey 410 i know this is not the thread for this lol but it looks like your latest updated one, but i cant seem to get ahold of anyone on here with problems on my BII. Its an Emergency and if you could go to my thread and check out my last post. Got some weird running issues and you are def the guy to talk to. Please if you get a chance it would be great, my link is on the bottom. Much appreciated thx.

incredible work!!!!!!!

He has been very busy with work last I heard.

Still BZ?

Unbelievable dedication to the FJ. You seem to know your stuff.

Here we are in November 2018, I am back on EF!!!

202K miles now on the Fj Cruiser she has been a VERY good truck and my wife and I have had our 10 year anniversary!!! Wow how time flies..I'm a very lucky man!!
ALOT has changed, lol like everything since then. Now RCX 6" lift stretched out to about 7.5" with Fox coilovers
FJ sits on 315 tires with body mount chop
Now green Monstaliner paint/ color change
Front and rear camera's
Custom front to back, nothing left untouched except the drivetrain :)
I have a replacement transmission downstairs for her, the factory unit needs a rebuild and some upgrades soon

You could say we have done some more work to her over the last 10 years :)
Still my wife's daily driver, we live off grid North Idaho, 4wheel every day:
171_191429_370000001.jpg

171_191429_370000002.jpg

171_191432_330000002.jpg

171_191432_330000001.jpg

171_191432_330000000.jpg

171_191520_460000000.jpg

We just ordered all the parts required and the tool needed to replace the rear wheel bearings. FJ cruiser after a long winter needs a little love! I will post up the process for replacing the Toyota 8" rear wheel bearings....fun fun
meanwhile the 31 spline 8.8 in my Bronco II continues to have no issues LMAO
I am always teasing my wife about her Toyota and how much the parts cost and how difficult they are to replace! HAHAHAHAHA

That FJ is awesome! What a beast.

Back in 2013, We took the FJ in for carrier bearing R&R (still under warranty), and the repair job itself, booked out to be more than a brand new complete 3rd member. So they ordered it up. New carrier, new gears, bearings, etc... 2 weeks later, the brand new pre-built 3rd member swapped out in 4 hours.
I asked how much to add the TRD rear locker, and they said $5k for that 3rd member!! Pass!

A few weeks later, we installed a $1k ARB, and took it to Moab for a week. Burned the ARB air line on the exhaust the first day, and had to wheel open for the entire week. It still did great. We ran with the big dawgs out there, and only had to be winched a couple times to help get over some obstacles. Golden crack was one of them. lol Didn't find out the line was sealed perfectly, allowing the compressor to build and shut off as normal, until we left. lol

This truck is a beast. She has saved us so many times! The FJ has pulled many trucks out of the snow and mud, including my F350 from the frozen mud while attached to my car hauler with a 2007 Ranger on board!! This was the result:

171_061911_420000000.jpg

We purchased front and rear third members from ECGS many moons ago, this FJ has 4.56 nitro gear sets with dual ARB lockers.
I too have melted the rear air line on the exhaust more then once.
I have had the third member out of the housing more times then I care to remember because it was one of the first FJ diffs Chase at ECGS setup with an ARB and it needed a re visit (or two!) I had to remove it package it up ship it to them and wait. However we now have lifetime warranty on both diffs so I'm happy.
The 07-09 FJC had a 8" rear end, which is pretty weak really for such a heavy SUV with so much torque and big tires, in 2010 they upgraded to a much stronger 8.2" rear end.
I wish we had one of those

We are stuck with our 8" for now, although I was looking at the Currie 9" or d60 rockjok axle this am very tempting!! $2500-4500 depending on how you build it.
This 2007 8" has gone 205+K miles now and the bearings are making noise on a side load.
I have already replaced the rear driveshaft with the new updated style, so we are good there.
I keep telling the wife I am going to setup a ford 8.8 to go back there with adapter to get the 6 lug pattern, there problem solved!

I am able to replace both rear wheel bearings, all seals, the rear brake rotors, pads and parking brake shoes and hardware for $380 rockauto along with the Toyota rear bearing press jig/ weld it yourself kit for $120....so now we are even more invested in this 8"
Local shops are $1200+ for this job using OEM style bearings.

I plan to cut the old bearing races from the factory axle shafts and use my 20 ton press and new Ebay Toyota jig to press on the new Timken bearings
Also the speedometer quit working, I believe the instrument cluster itself needs repair as all 6 speeds sensors are accounted for on the scanner
Sometimes I really love my 1988 Bronco II........a much more simple beast!

Here is the FJ again getting ready to strap another Gen II explorer back to the shop....during spring run off season we have alot of mud and the challenge is to get the trucks we buy back to the shop...this gold Gen II 4.o OHV only made it so far with its half bald goodyears lol

171_061919_490000000.jpg

171_061919_490000001.jpg

171_061921_200000000.jpg

Well, at least Toyota didn't put that 7.5" in it, like they did on the heavier Sequoia. That never made sense to me. lol

With the lifetime on your 3rd's, I guess you only have to worry about it failing at the wrong time, wrong place.

Good luck on the rear bearing install. Anytime someone mentions bearings + 20 ton press, doesn't sound like something to look forward too. lol

actually the 20 ton press cannot do the job, it takes a 50 ton to press the old bearing race off of the axle shaft... I was going to pay a shop until I found the right information online. You see when we did her front wheel bearings I attempted to press the old hubs out of the old bearings and I bent two home made jigs there goes two days of work....finally I just cut the races off with a die grinder....took 7 minutes to do both sides! My 20 ton HF press can easily press the new race on...its pressing the old one off that is a PITA. I could take the axle shafts to town and pay $40 per side to have the work done but where is the fun in that! I like to DIY.....so here we go!

New WIY Toyota rear press kit is here
Very happy with this setup. This tool is normally $250-300 to press the yota 8" axle shaft bearing races on and off the axleshaft
Ebay to the rescue!
WIY tool is $79, adapter for Fj bolt pattern was $40ish
I never mind having a reason to buy a new tool or a reason to bust out the welder.
Parts starting to trickle in for RWB replacement

171_121610_520000000.jpg

171_121610_520000001.jpg

Back