2008 explore 4wd front passenger cv half shaft HELPP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 explore 4wd front passenger cv half shaft HELPP!!!

jdxprs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 explorer eddie bauer
Does anyone know how to replace the passenger side cv half shaft???

I did the wheel bearing hub but accidentally put a cut in the cv boot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know how to replace the passenger side cv half shaft???

I did the wheel bearing hub but accidentally put a cut in the cv boot.

You should just be able to press it back out of the hub and pull it out from the front diff. Normally there's just a tension clip that holds it in the diff.

Did not have to do it on the explorer yet but did it on my wife's Tribeca, and I you just pulled it out of the front differential.

Do I need to remove the hub I just installed? Remove the knuckle? Anyone know where I can see a step by step?

you just need to remove the top control arm at the ball joint and that will give you enough room to get the half shaft out. I had to remove mine for a bad seal, it is a really easy and straight forward process.

Can you describe the whole process? Do you have any pictures? Any special tools?

Remove the axle nut and once you separate the upper ball joint you have enough room to pull the half shaft out. No special tools needed. Sorry I don't have any pictures, once you get in there it's really straight forward.

Why replace the entire half-shaft for a torn boot. Don't they still make replacement split-boots? Cut off the old one, slip the new boot around the joint, fill with grease, and seal it up. I didn't that some time ago on another vehicle, and it held up fine.

PS - The passenger side half shaft (if you do actually need to remove it) goes into an intermediate housing/shaft, not directly into the front diff. This is so the 2 half-shafts can be the same length, even though the front diff is off-center on the drivers side.

If the cut is not too severe then black RTV works very well and you don't even need to pull anything.
I've been running a repair on a similar cut for 2 years with the original RTV

If the cut is not too severe then black RTV works very well and you don't even need to pull anything.
I've been running a repair on a similar cut for 2 years with the original RTV

I'm with you, nothing that silicone or RTV cannot fix in my mind.

Back