Front Differential Bearings - Where is passenger side? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential Bearings - Where is passenger side?

J5hort

Reaction score
City, State
South Easton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
1995 Sport
Hi All, 2008 XLT V8. Have been replacing front end parts including front hubs, CV shafts in an attempt to find source of a vibration that happens between 40 and 60 MPH. Is otherwise present but not as bad at other speeds. I replaced the polymer bearing on the driver side of the inner CV/half shaft and have the passenger side bearing. There is a bit of up/down side/side play in the passenger side inner shaft where it meets differntial. The passenger side bearing is also polynmer and It is physically different as a thinner ring. I pulled the passenger side CV/half shaft off and was expecting that the bearing would fit around the diameter of the inner CV/shaft. It is too small. The bearing does fit into the differential side, but there is no bearing visable. There is a shaft in there and I an not sure if it is easily removed. It would seem the bearing may go on the other side of the shaft.

Just wondering if anyone has an knowledge of this, diagrams I have found do not have this exploded in the view.

Hi All, 2008 XLT V8. Have been replacing front end parts including front hubs, CV shafts in an attempt to find source of a vibration that happens between 40 and 60 MPH. Is otherwise present but not as bad at other speeds. I replaced the polymer bearing on the driver side of the inner CV/half shaft and have the passenger side bearing. There is a bit of up/down side/side play in the passenger side inner shaft where it meets differntial. The passenger side bearing is also polynmer and It is physically different as a thinner ring. I pulled the passenger side CV/half shaft off and was expecting that the bearing would fit around the diameter of the inner CV/shaft. It is too small. The bearing does fit into the differential side, but there is no bearing visable. There is a shaft in there and I an not sure if it is easily removed. It would seem the bearing may go on the other side of the shaft.

Just wondering if anyone has an knowledge of this, diagrams I have found do not have this exploded in the view.

Just for clarity, I am referring to the polymer bearing on the passenger side. Assuming this would go between the CV axle and the differential extension end where the dust cap/seal is. Here is a pic if the bearing. It is Ford part 6L2Z 4B413B. Anyone know where this goes? Other side was right behind the dust cap/seal but there is no extension on that side.

20180416_091454.jpg

Back