• Register Today It's free!

2009 Navigation Update

jperaino

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Limited
Ford has just released the first uodate for the 2009 Explorer with the HDD Nav system. It updates the maps, gracenotes, and the firmware. It takes about 3 hours to perform the update and the disks are now available only from a dealer. Navteq produces them but cannot sell them direct. The part number is AA5Z-10E987-A. It has a MSRP of $795.00. That price is absolutely ridiculous. I voiced my complaint with Ford. Who wpuld even think of updating for that price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous !!! Bad enough what Navteq wants to update just to go to 8P !!
eBay - here I come for a disc from someone else!

Ford has just adjusted the price of the 2009 Navigation update from $795.00 to 330.00. My dealer sold it to me for $270.76. The update consists of 2 DVD's and updates the Firmware, Maps, and Gracenotes. It takes 3 hours to install. The purchase includes 1 free License key with additional keys at $199.00 which are purchased from Navteq. The DVD's are useless after the update unless you buy another License key to install them on another vehicle. Each License Key is coded to a specific vehicle using your MAV Application Code. The maps seem to be updated quite a bit from the original release.

They really need to get more reasonable on that. Otherwise, people will get add on navi- which is now to the point where it's almost cheaper to buy a new GPS once a year than update the software.

$330 is ridiculous- it's 2 DVD's. Sure there is a lot of effort put into writing the code, but once done, it's copying CD's. Come on...

I've been waiting for 8P to show up on ebay, still haven't come across it. The prices that Navteq and the dealers want for updates is insane. I can go buy a gramin for $80 now and it's more accurate!

I guess I dont see what good it is to issue a key when the system has no way of checking to see if that key has been used before. Am I missing something here or did that make the 09+ Nav's with 2 way communications?

I currently have the stock CD player in my 06 EB and I thought about switching to the nav radio. Do any of you know if therer is anything special that I have to do to switch it, i.e. anatenna, or connectors at the back of the radio?

Is the update available for the 2008? My nav acted strange on a recent trip!

I have the most recent dvd 8p.

I've been waiting for 8P to show up on ebay, still haven't come across it.

I purchased my Ford 8P disc on eBay 2 months ago ??

What is included in the firmware update? Are there any new menu or functionality upgrades?

No help

I e-mailed Navteq and they stated they do not support their software in the Ford! They sell me the yearly update at $199.00 and then tell me that I have to get support from my Ford dealer who does not know anything about the electronics except to put in a new part!

7P to 8P showed some maps upgraded but acts strange at times. The voice directions are a little off at times.

I have all the SYNC updates as well as 911Assist.

Oh well, I guess that is the way it is. I usually can get relocated after a few false turns. Some of it may be my fault. I now carry a set of maps just in case.

Navteq Update

Navteq told me in an e-mail today that any firmware update for my 2008 would have been in 8P when I installed it.

Back