2010 Explorer Front Bumper Rattling Loose at Fenders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer Front Bumper Rattling Loose at Fenders

gdgiordano

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
My 2010 Explorer has an odd issue with the front bumper. In the corners the bumper slides out of the grooves and falls down a bit.

The entire bumper was replaced as a result along with all the mounting hardware.

It happens more over time from vibration and happens quicker on bumpy roads. I am at a loss.

Any ideas? Is this a Gen 4 design flaw?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove a headlight and inspect the retainers/brackets. The bracket is fastened to the fender and the bumper cover slides into the bracket. Quite possible that the clips are broken on the retainer.
I just replaced the right side retainer for the same issues you are having.

Remove a headlight and inspect the retainers/brackets. The bracket is fastened to the fender and the bumper cover slides into the bracket. Quite possible that the clips are broken on the retainer.
I just replaced the right side retainer for the same issues you are having.
The clips are good. Everything looks like new. They were both just replaced. Am like 5 seconds from gorilla gluing them. This has been going on for 9 months now and I’ve had it haha. I feel this is the dumbest design ever.

there should also be a screw in the fender well that helps hold the bumper in place

Said screw holds the bracket to the fender liner. You need to reuse the speed nut from the old one.

gd - Have you removed and inspected the brackets?
The one that I replaced was broken in 2 pcs and had several of the clips missing.

Said screw holds the bracket to the fender liner. You need to reuse the speed nut from the old one.

gd - Have you removed and inspected the brackets?
The one that I replaced was broken in 2 pcs and had several of the clips missing.
Yeah that screw is all tight and good.

The bracket looks like new(it is new). Definitely not worn or broken.

Back