2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That DTC can be caused by a wheel/tire issue, chassis modifications, a faulted EPAS steering gear, a faulty SCCM, a faulty RCM or a WSS/tone ring/wheel bearing issue. In order to accurately diagnose this concern it will need to be present at the time of testing, otherwise your test results will be inconclusive with no problem found.

Did the dealer provide their diagnosis or did they just say "we don't know, so we replaced the EPAS"?

Glad you were covered by warranty, but if this were out of pocket for someone, they may be better served by clearing codes and monitoring things to see if problem/code returns and how quickly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update: dealer says the truck needs a new steering gear. Lost communication to module. Are many others running into the same issue where the steering gear fails and is not being covered by the recall? No luck so far with ford care or dealer in amicable resolution.

update: dealer says the truck needs a new steering gear. Lost communication to module. Are many others running into the same issue where the steering gear fails and is not being covered by the recall? No luck so far with ford care or dealer in amicable resolution.

I just drove my wife’s 2015 Explorer home from a local mechanic shop after being told the same thing. We took it to a Ford dealership initially for the Service Advancetrac and Power Steering Assist Failure and they immediately quoted us $2700 to replace the steering gear assembly. Took it for a second opinion and paid $300 to have the steering angle sensor replaced. We were then told it was the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) that was bad and the only way to get it is by replacing the entire gear assembly. Don’t have that kind of money to spend right now and am hoping a recall will come through soon. I have filed a complaint on NHSTA. The sickening part is it has less than 70,000 miles on it... my beater Corolla I use for work travel just rolled over 256,000 and is still going strong.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There is a recall for the 2011 - 2013 Explorer but I don't believe there is one for subsequent years. The most common fix was the replacement of the steering rack. There are several threads on power steering loss/issues. You can try using the 'Search' feature in the upper right to find them.

Peter

I just drove my wife’s 2015 Explorer home from a local mechanic shop after being told the same thing. We took it to a Ford dealership initially for the Service Advancetrac and Power Steering Assist Failure and they immediately quoted us $2700 to replace the steering gear assembly. Took it for a second opinion and paid $300 to have the steering angle sensor replaced. We were then told it was the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) that was bad and the only way to get it is by replacing the entire gear assembly. Don’t have that kind of money to spend right now and am hoping a recall will come through soon. I have filed a complaint on NHSTA. The sickening part is it has less than 70,000 miles on it... my beater Corolla I use for work travel just rolled over 256,000 and is still going strong.

So you paid $300 for a part that didnt fix the problem? I'd be requesting my money back at that point for misdiagnosing the issue.

As Peter said, when you get those warnings, it is typically the EPAS. The $2,600 is way too high for this repair that is quoted.

My car is still at the shop hasn't been fixed yet. This person on youtube thinks that its a design flaw and engine heat is causing these issues by overheating the electronics. I see nhtsa reports for steering failures all the way up to 2017, so it does not make me confident that ford ever fully resolved these failures. I also think its very suspect that the ford reps "vanished" from this forum around the same timeframe as all these steering complaints started coming in.

This is a big mess. Totally disappointed with Ford's car. Three days back my ford explorer (2013 model) steering suddenly got jammed while I was reversing it to park. The warning message appear "Power steering assist fault". I hardly manage to park the car. Still the car is in the repairing workshop and its very costly to replace it with new power steering rack, costing around AED 5400/- (Dubai)
The used part is also appearing to have same problem, tried replacing it with used 2015 explorer but it also had fault.Now again trying with another used part. If that also does not work then will have to purchase new one.

This is totally dispapointing. Anybody else in Dubai/UAE faced this issue?

I don't think anyone has tried using a used steering rack before or a used one from another year Explorer. I'm not familiar enough with the issue to know if any programming is required once the steering rack is replaced. If it is, then perhaps that is why you keep getting the 'fault'. Good luck.

Peter

I don't think anyone has tried using a used steering rack before or a used one from another year Explorer. I'm not familiar enough with the issue to know if any programming is required once the steering rack is replaced. If it is, then perhaps that is why you keep getting the 'fault'. Good luck.

Peter

Programming is required when it is replaced.

Programming is required when it is replaced.

Thanks for the information. Lets see. Tomorrow is the third try for the used steering rack. Last two had different kind of pieces fault so they couldn't be used for replace

So you paid $300 for a part that didnt fix the problem? I'd be requesting my money back at that point for misdiagnosing the issue.

As Peter said, when you get those warnings, it is typically the EPAS. The $2,600 is way too high for this repair that is quoted.

Sending an progress update: found a used steering gear assembly from a salvage yard off a ‘15 Explorer with 30,000 miles for $300. I was able to remove the PSCM only and replace by only having to drop the exhaust and remove a heat shield in about 1.5 hours. All is working as far as the power steering goes and all error codes are gone, but the cruise control doesn’t work and the wheel can be turned way more than it should. Have it scheduled to take to the dealer and have them reprogram the module with the steering angle sensor as that is what they say is wrong. Does that sound accuarate?

Hi all,
New member here helping a friend out with replacing the steering rack on her 2014 Explorer. It suffered the typical failure and was diagnosed by Ford who did offer any support. Per the dealer's suggestion I ordered STE379 for the whole rack/motor/controller assembly.

Now - I searched but was not able to locate a remove/install procedure for the steering gear. Does anyone know if it's available online somewhere?

I've done steering racks on other cars (Toyota trucks and BMWs) so I'm hoping I didn't dig myself a hole when I agreed to help her out.
Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Ryan.:wave:
Sorry, can't help with your question. I believe a couple members may have the technical manuals.

Peter

Since the matter is closed with Ford, file a small claims case against them. Submit the recall information with the wording, submit your dealer work orders and sue them. Lwt them fly an attorney out to your state and show up in court. Print off the 47 pages on here and print off all the NHTSA complaints and submit as well. Then see who wins by swaying the judge by 51%. It is worth the $50-$100 to file and you get your fees back if you win.

Dont back down!!
I will be doing this for my 2013 Explorer as the dealer denied repairing it. You mentioned 47 pages on here. Where do I find those? I know about all the pages on the NHTSA site to print off. but where are the 47 pages you mentioned? Thanks!

I will be doing this for my 2013 Explorer as the dealer denied repairing it. You mentioned 47 pages on here. Where do I find those? I know about all the pages on the NHTSA site to print off. but where are the 47 pages you mentioned? Thanks!

I said the 47 pages on HERE (now 51) AND print off the complaints on the NHTSA website.

Obviously the 51 pages include discussion but there are plenty of people posting failures.

Welcome to the Forum Tony.:wave:
I believe the pages he is referring to are the pages in this thread. In other words you would be printing out this entire thread. Also, please update your profile as it shows a 2008 XLT. If you still have it, add the 2013 to a signature. Thanks.

Peter

I said the 47 pages on HERE (now 51) AND print off the complaints on the NHTSA website.

Obviously the 51 pages include discussion but there are plenty of people posting failures.
Got it thanks!!

Hi All,

My 2016 Explorer recently had power steering failure while driving. Extremely dangerous situation. This is not covered under warranty and cost me $2400 to fix. If you have a similar problem please call the National Transportation Safety Board at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. The steering wheel completely locked up while driving and is very dangerous.

The rep at NTSB said there are currently over 300 complaints on the 2016 Models alone.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back