2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum Zach.:wave:
Sorry to read about your issue. Unfortunately the dealer really can't do anything without Ford's approval to cover any expenses. I'm guessing that Ford probably made some changes/improvements after the 'cut-off' date but obviously there are still failures occurring. I feel that this recall, given the severity of the issue, should have had some flexibility built into it, but that's just me. Did you file a report with the NHTSA?

Peter
Thanks for the welcome Peter! I agree that they should be a little more leinient given how serious this issue could be. On my drive home, I noticed that the car will dart as the steering wheel kind of “catches” when it moves a little left or right. Makes it very worrying. I haven’t contacted NHTSA yet. Overall this is just very upsetting from Ford. From the issue being and issue at all, to the limited ness of the recall to the treatment I’ve received from the dealer and customer service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the welcome Peter! I agree that they should be a little more leinient given how serious this issue could be. On my drive home, I noticed that the car will dart as the steering wheel kind of “catches” when it moves a little left or right. Makes it very worrying. I haven’t contacted NHTSA yet. Overall this is just very upsetting from Ford. From the issue being and issue at all, to the limited ness of the recall to the treatment I’ve received from the dealer and customer service.
So last night on my drive home from work, I started my car, and no errors and power steering was working. It had been working when the car started and the turned off sometimes while driving as reported for the past few days. Well, on my way home, there is a long u-turn style on ramp that I have to take, the posted recommended speed to take the turn is 20 mph, I was going probably 25 mph initially slowing down into the turn, as I start to turn the car, I heard the error dings and bam, the power steering went, the wheel jerked right and the car headed straight into the 5 foot high cement barrier. Car 911 assist worked very well and called 911 and I had the vehicle towed to a local shop. Contacted insurance and that's where I'm at now in the process. I have a few photos from the scene and of the truck but I can't figure out how to upload them to my media. Once I get it figured out, I'll share them. I feel fine right now, no injuries luckily but I am so upset/pissed off/etc at this issue. No offense to any other owners that like their Explorers or Ford but I don't want anything to do with Ford or this car ever again. I will be contacting NHTSA to update them on my issue # and switch mine to say that it caused an accident with no injuries. I'll be explaining everything very very in depth to my insurance agent and see what they can do going forward. As for everyone who still has this issue and Ford is not even remotely helping, I wish you the best of luck (better than mine) with driving these things.

So last night on my drive home from work, I started my car, and no errors and power steering was working. It had been working when the car started and the turned off sometimes while driving as reported for the past few days. Well, on my way home, there is a long u-turn style on ramp that I have to take, the posted recommended speed to take the turn is 20 mph, I was going probably 25 mph initially slowing down into the turn, as I start to turn the car, I heard the error dings and bam, the power steering went, the wheel jerked right and the car headed straight into the 5 foot high cement barrier. Car 911 assist worked very well and called 911 and I had the vehicle towed to a local shop. Contacted insurance and that's where I'm at now in the process. I have a few photos from the scene and of the truck but I can't figure out how to upload them to my media. Once I get it figured out, I'll share them. I feel fine right now, no injuries luckily but I am so upset/pissed off/etc at this issue. No offense to any other owners that like their Explorers or Ford but I don't want anything to do with Ford or this car ever again. I will be contacting NHTSA to update them on my issue # and switch mine to say that it caused an accident with no injuries. I'll be explaining everything very very in depth to my insurance agent and see what they can do going forward. As for everyone who still has this issue and Ford is not even remotely helping, I wish you the best of luck (better than mine) with driving these things.

I fully believe this is a Ford issue and Ford should be expanding the recall on them. With that said, I dont understand why you were still driving the vehicle. Your post before said your PS went completely out. Now you post you were driving because it works now and then it went out again.

If the PS went out, I would not be driving it till it was replaced. Since Ford and the dealer are not doing anything, you really have no choice but to pay for it and take them to small claims if you feel they should pay. I would not risk my life over an $1,800 repair.

At some point the owner needs to take some responsibility and the fact you drove knowing it failed and continues to fail.. Repair it and go after Ford.

I purchased my 2011 Explorer is April. Since then, I have had it to the dealer 5 times for repair. I get the power steering assist warning and the terrain system warning lights.. Signal lights will not work, and it's nearly impossible to steer. They have replaced the rack and pinion twice, updated the software, and the other two times the codes were reset. The last rack and pinion only lasted 3 days. The code is showing that it is bad again, but the service dept. doesn't want to change it. They suggested that I replace the tie rod ends, but when I ask if they were bad, they told me that they were not. I was told that they were able to align the front end without any problem, so the tie rod ends are not at fault. They also tried to say the battery was going bad, but I had it checked and it was fine also. The strange thing is, the steering has failed in the same curve (right hand) three times. I mentioned this but they didn't really say anything about it. It's very frustrating to think that I still owe on this vehicle for four years. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere, especially with the children. Ford customer service has worked with me so far. The dealer didn't want to replace the rack the second time, but once I called Ford, they did. I'm not sure what the next step is, unless I take it to another dealer and let them check it.
So, Friday had been 6 weeks since Iast had my Explorer to the dealer for repair. Actually, there was no repair, just a reset of the code. I think this was the longest it had went without losing power steering. BUT, it happened again on my way home from taking my daughter to the Dr. I'm so very frustrated. There has to be a fix for this problem.

So, Friday had been 6 weeks since Iast had my Explorer to the dealer for repair. Actually, there was no repair, just a reset of the code. I think this was the longest it had went without losing power steering. BUT, it happened again on my way home from taking my daughter to the Dr. I'm so very frustrated. There has to be a fix for this problem.
Sorry to read about your continuing issue. Did you pay for the previous repair or did they cover it under warranty? I would take it to another dealer if there is one in the area and explain what has been happening. If you paid for the repair then I believe the parts and labour should still be under Ford's warranty on such a repair. There is no other resolution that I'm aware of except to replace the parts again.

Peter

Sorry to read about your continuing issue. Did you pay for the previous repair or did they cover it under warranty? I would take it to another dealer if there is one in the area and explain what has been happening. If you paid for the repair then I believe the parts and labour should still be under Ford's warranty on such a repair. There is no other resolution that I'm aware of except to replace the parts again.

Peter
The rack and pinion has a 24 month warranty. I haven't paid anything as of yet,although the dealer tried to make me pay for the last diagnosis, which was the rack an pinion. I'm going to call another dealer tomorrow and see if I can get them to check it. If the diagnostic codes are showing that the rack is bad, I assume that's what it is? What's the chance of having two bad racks installed?

The rack and pinion has a 24 month warranty. I haven't paid anything as of yet,although the dealer tried to make me pay for the last diagnosis, which was the rack an pinion. I'm going to call another dealer tomorrow and see if I can get them to check it. If the diagnostic codes are showing that the rack is bad, I assume that's what it is? What's the chance of having two bad racks installed?
I know a few members had a at least one replaced one go bad.

Our 2013 Explorer XLT has gone bonkers. Power steering fault, advance trac fault, reverse camera on while I’m going forward and the radio going nuts. Dropped it off so it can be looked at at 8am tomorrow. On the way my husband was driving it in and it went out again. He said it was terrible even for him to strong arm it through the curves that he feels if I had been driving I would have crashed. I know myself and I will never be confident driving this thing or another Explorer again. Of course we are 3,000 miles past warranty. Isn’t there a place where these things get reported to?

Our 2013 Explorer XLT has gone bonkers. Power steering fault, advance trac fault, reverse camera on while I’m going forward and the radio going nuts. Dropped it off so it can be looked at at 8am tomorrow. On the way my husband was driving it in and it went out again. He said it was terrible even for him to strong arm it through the curves that he feels if I had been driving I would have crashed. I know myself and I will never be confident driving this thing or another Explorer again. Of course we are 3,000 miles past warranty. Isn’t there a place where these things get reported to?
Welcome to the Forum Fran.:wave:
Report to the NHTSA. The link is in post 1108, 2011 - 2015 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Peter

Just got a call from the shop. Steering rack needs replaced at a price of $1925.26. My husband says we are done owning Fords. I’m 54 and have only owned 2 other cars that weren’t Fords through my life. Not a happy camper.

Just got a call from the shop. Steering rack needs replaced at a price of $1925.26. My husband says we are done owning Fords. I’m 54 and have only owned 2 other cars that weren’t Fords through my life. Not a happy camper.

Not that this helps much but I'd seriously question their pricing. You can get a steering rack for $600-800 +/- plus labor. You could get it done for much less then the almost $2,000 they quoted you.

Screenshot_20171124-102304.png

So our power steering system finally went out on our 2012 XLT. In fact, the wife was driving on the interstate with our two toddlers at 75MPH when it went out. She pulled over and I had to meet up with her and drive it home (not easy). We WOULD have been eligible for the recall if this happened 8k miles ago, but since we are over the 150,000 limit, I get to pay 1940.00 to get it repaired(getting repaired as this is typed). Its sad really, because when I was at 120K, I was having issues with the power steering and was hoping to get it replaced at the dealer, however at the time, they were "unable to replicate the issue" so no action was taken. I am disappointed, because it takes a complete failure (and endangerment to lives) for the recall to be initiated. I wonder if GM's ignition recall is the same way?
I could repair it myself as its not too bad of a job, but due to being busy, it would probably take a week or two for me to do alone and this is our primary family vehicle. My service adviser has been nothing but helpful but have to say that I am disappointed in Fords approach to the failure of a MAJOR component of the vehicle. Guess I just need to vent, but I will be reporting this to NHTSA as another statistic. Good luck to anyone that has ventured down the same path..

So I took my 2013 Explorer into the shop to have a squeak when I turn left and right looked at. Service advisor said they put chassis ears on and found it was the steering rack and I would need to replace it for $2,200.00. I said well I don’t have that kind of money. Funny thing is that the tech that worked in my EX tightened everything on the steering rack and front end and the squeak dissapeared and the steering is more responsive now. My question is should I get ready for this problem to happen again? Also, would my EX be covered under the extended warranty? Thanks.

So I took my 2013 Explorer into the shop to have a squeak when I turn left and right looked at. Service advisor said they put chassis ears on and found it was the steering rack and I would need to replace it for $2,200.00. I said well I don’t have that kind of money. Funny thing is that the tech that worked in my EX tightened everything on the steering rack and front end and the squeak dissapeared and the steering is more responsive now. My question is should I get ready for this problem to happen again? Also, would my EX be covered under the extended warranty? Thanks.
I got rid of mine and went with the Edge. I just did not feel confident about the fix they were telling me and I also knew I would not feel confident about ever driving it again.

I got rid of mine and went with the Edge. I just did not feel confident about the fix they were telling me and I also knew I would not feel confident about ever driving it again.
Time to update your profile Fran. It still shows you have the 2013 XLT. I wouldn't be surprised if the Edge and Explorer share the same steering system or parts.

Peter

Are you referring to the Ford ESP? If so, then it should be. This is the other one I found but the link in the post doesn't work at this time; 2011 - 2015 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Peter
I’m sorry I thought there was an extended warranty for failed power steering in upto 2013 explorers. For the part only. My vehicle is a CPO but the steering isn’t part of the powertrain.

I have a 2012 Explorer. My power steering rack has been replaced twice. 1st time at in 2016 @ 64,908 under recall and the 2nd time was last week on 2/5/18 @ 89,950. Total cost = parts + labor + 4 wheel alignment = $2434.15

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice to read this thread and see how much money this fix will take. The more I read the more I realize this is not a question of IF, but WHEN.

I had the software update done 3 months ago at 99,000 miles, after being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power steering while on vacation. Today (99,600 miles) on a trip to go skiing, power steering message came back. The EX is currently at the dealership, I would imagine they will replace the rack this time, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they tell me some other crap.

EX is going for sale as soon as I get it back "fixed". Just a shame that Ford could screw up something like this and that I need to have $2k set apart for when it happens a second, third and fourth time. And the thought of taking this car again for a vacation sounds like a nightmare since I feel I have to start budgeting for a tow truck, a rental car, and a few hours of being pissed off.

Goodbye EX.

Back