2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nice to read this thread and see how much money this fix will take. The more I read the more I realize this is not a question of IF, but WHEN.

I had the software update done 3 months ago at 99,000 miles, after being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power steering while on vacation. Today (99,600 miles) on a trip to go skiing, power steering message came back. The EX is currently at the dealership, I would imagine they will replace the rack this time, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they tell me some other crap.

EX is going for sale as soon as I get it back "fixed". Just a shame that Ford could screw up something like this and that I need to have $2k set apart for when it happens a second, third and fourth time. And the thought of taking this car again for a vacation sounds like a nightmare since I feel I have to start budgeting for a tow truck, a rental car, and a few hours of being pissed off.

Goodbye EX.
Have you read the warranty extension link I identified in the other thread you posted the same issue in? It may apply.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This just happened to me last night. Lost power steering while on the road heading home from our trip to NY. I had my three kids with me. Lost turn signals primarily then the terrain management was gone along with power steering loss. Made it back home but dare not take it out again. This is my primary vehicle and have no other means of transportation. Im a single father of three and need this vehicle. I made an appointment for Monday. I was only able to skim this thread for info due to time constraints. Appreciate any info anyone can provide. I hope this is covered under a recall or something. I do have an extended warranty but will find out soon enough if I have to foot this bill. I have always been a FORD fan but this certainly questions it.

2015 EX Sport

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

This just happened to me last night. Lost power steering while on the road heading home from our trip to NY. I had my three kids with me. Lost turn signals primarily then the terrain management was gone along with power steering loss. Made it back home but dare not take it out again. This is my primary vehicle and have no other means of transportation. Im a single father of three and need this vehicle. I made an appointment for Monday. I was only able to skim this thread for info due to time constraints. Appreciate any info anyone can provide. I hope this is covered under a recall or something. I do have an extended warranty but will find out soon enough if I have to foot this bill. I have always been a FORD fan but this certainly questions it.

2015 EX Sport

View attachment 160299

View attachment 160300

If you have the Ford Premium ESP, it will cover it. Should take a few days of the part has to be ordered and unless you have 1st day rental, Ford will provide a loaner on day 2 at their cost.

The most interesting part of this is that the brake telltale is on. Hmm.

If you have the Ford Premium ESP, it will cover it. Should take a few days of the part has to be ordered and unless you have 1st day rental, Ford will provide a loaner on day 2 at their cost.
unfortunately the extended warranty is not from ford... :(

The most interesting part of this is that the brake telltale is on. Hmm.
the parking brake was on.. my driveway is an uphill

here is the terrain pic i forgot to add...

IMG_0843.JPG

There was a recall issued for 2011 - 2013 Explorers regarding this issue. It was subsequently extended for 10 years, 150k miles. I haven't found anything for Explorers beyond those years although there are a few posts in this thread by owners of 2015 models. They were repaired under the factory warranty at the time. I suggest checking with your dealer to see what if anything Ford can do for you aside from having you foot the entire bill. Also, I noticed that many of the early posts did not mention any other error messages. Good luck.

Peter

prediction... the dealer will site the fault from my lowering springs and aftermarket wheels....

prediction... the dealer will site the fault from my lowering springs and aftermarket wheels....
That is a possibility and a chance everyone takes when modifying their vehicle.

Peter

It's not worth stressing about until you scan for codes. Something like an iffy battery can start triggering electronics issues.

My 2014 Sport started making knocking sounds when I turn right and left. Brought it in to the shop and they say I need new steering gear and right and left tie rod ends. Dealership is quoting about $2,100. It looks like Ford has addressed this with 2011-2013. This is really frustrating. I had an Explorer previous to this one and never had any major issues. That's why I bought this vehicle. So far, I've had nothing, but problems. Fortunately most was covered by warranty, but I've definitely had more issues after the warranty. I'm only at about 70k miles. Crazy frustrating. I really don't know how much I can trust the vehicle at this point and not sure that I can trust the another Explorer going forward.

I can understand the tie rods due to the knocking noise but why the steering gear? Have you had steering issues?

Peter

I can understand the tie rods due to the knocking noise but why the steering gear? Have you had steering issues?

Peter

No idea why the steering gear. I spoke with another mechanic and he was pretty confused as well. His feeling is that the dealership maybe be over prescribing.

No idea why the steering gear. I spoke with another mechanic and he was pretty confused as well. His feeling is that the dealership maybe be over prescribing.
Unless another member can make the connection, I think I'd just have the tie rod ends replaced. That's just my opinion.

Peter

Unless another member can make the connection, I think I'd just have the tie rod ends replaced. That's just my opinion.

Peter
Just spoke with the service adviser. It sounds like it might just be coincidence that the steering gear and tie rods went out at the same time. That's even more frustrating.

Just spoke with the service adviser. It sounds like it might just be coincidence that the steering gear and tie rods went out at the same time. That's even more frustrating.

Unless you have codes or hard steering, no need to replace the rack. Sounds like a money hungry dealer

Ran into same problem again.. Currently getting service power steering now error and service advancetrack error. No power steering at all at this point.
Waiting on tow. Feels like steering is locked even when moving slowly.

You can always pull codes and get a second opinion from an indy repair shop.

Hard parts can make noise and may need to be replaced. Rack may or may not need replacement - may just be a sensor/module/wiring.

Did your steering "reset" and work after shut down and restart? You can check/clear codes and see if the problem recurs again, and how quickly.

Unless you have codes or hard steering, no need to replace the rack. Sounds like a money hungry dealer
Thanks for the tips. I'll confirm with the tech today, whether or not there were codes. Definitely didn't have an issue with hard steering.

I got the report back from the dealership. It does have code C1B00:64-08. I do recall one time that when I turned the wheel, the made the pop and did pull hard. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with the steering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update... been busy but brought her in Monday.. new steering rack.. damage is 2100
extended warranty covered it but no real indication from the dealership that it wont happen again... same part
dont want to get rid of her but i rely on her for long trips... need to start lookin for a replacement before the extended warranty ends..

Back