• Register Today It's free!

2011 check engine light - evap

hoff8484

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer XLT
Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed by I can't really find what I am looking for when I search the forum. My 2011 XLT has a CEL light on and it is throwing the code P0146 I think it is, I will double check, but either way, it is saying its an EVAP issue. I have replaced the evap purge valve under the hood and light is still on. I have worked the fuel filler and still no luck. I thought I read somewhere before about there being a box or something under the passenger side rear floor that has to do with the evap. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shaun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry the code is a P0446.

731AE5BC-C639-4E93-9BEE-F64EFFC9FE59.jpeg

Have you checked to make sure that the little metal flap in the fuel filler neck is closed properly?

Have you checked to make sure that the little metal flap in the fuel filler neck is closed properly?
Yes I’ve cleaned it and worked it and it closes properly.

A P0446 is an electrical circuit fault related to the CANISTER VENT solenoid. It has nothing to do with either the purge valve under the hood or the filler flap.

Could be anything from a displaced connector, an open solenoid, a wiring fault or a fault in the PCM.

I changed my APIM a while back because I had a black screen, could that cause an issue?

I changed my APIM a while back because I had a black screen, could that cause an issue?
I don't believe it has any connection to the issue. The APIM is the 'brains' behind MFT.
I also noticed that the code could be caused by an issue with the circuitry when exploring the code meaning.
When P0446 is triggered, the ECM has detected a short in the circuitry to activate the vent control valve, or the EVAP system failed to maintain the proper pressure during the active EVAP leak test.
But then there is also this;
What Does the P0446 Code Mean? Code P0446, otherwise known as Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) Vent Control Circuit Malfunction, indicates that your car's computer has detected (or believes it has detected) a problem with the function of the EVAP system vent valve.
All I can say is Good Luck.

Peter

Back