2011 Explorer gets ECOboost twinturbo V6? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer gets ECOboost twinturbo V6?

It's all one big balancing act of HP/TQ/MPG/styling/power-train/etc of which the details I can only imagine.

I'm curious to know, if the V6 ecoboost comes to the new Explorer will it automatically bump up it's towing capacity (assuming you have the trailer tow package also) or will the unibody frame be the weak link and it's still 5000 lbs towing capacity?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all one big balancing act of HP/TQ/MPG/styling/power-train/etc of which the details I can only imagine.

I'm curious to know, if the V6 ecoboost comes to the new Explorer will it automatically bump up it's towing capacity (assuming you have the trailer tow package also) or will the unibody frame be the weak link and it's still 5000 lbs towing capacity?

If the unibody Jeep GC is any indication- with the V6 towing capacity is 5000 lbs and with the V8 it is 7400.
If this is the same for the Explorer, it would seem to be a no brainer to put the V6 Ecoboost in there.

If the unibody Jeep GC is any indication- with the V6 towing capacity is 5000 lbs and with the V8 it is 7400.
If this is the same for the Explorer, it would seem to be a no brainer to put the V6 Ecoboost in there.
I know that the Ex will be getting a 2.0-liter EcoBoost™ I-4 engine producing V6 power but I haven't heard anything about a V6 Ecoboost engine for the Explorer. I also read that Ford's survey showed that only 0.4% of the driving population pulls anything heavier than 5000 lbs so I wouldn't hold my breath to see a more powerful engine in the Ex anytime soon.

I know that the Ex will be getting a 2.0-liter EcoBoost™ I-4 engine producing V6 power but I haven't heard anything about a V6 Ecoboost engine for the Explorer. I also read that Ford's survey showed that only 0.4% of the driving population pulls anything heavier than 5000 lbs so I wouldn't hold my breath to see a more powerful engine in the Ex anytime soon.

Though they took this option off the build and price section of the Canadian Ford site.

We know about the I4 ecoboost, we were speculating on the V6 ecoboost coming to the new Ex because of mounting evidence. First and foremost, it's offered on the Flex and Taurus. Same platform on all of these so it should be no problem putting it in.

Ask yourself this: why is it on the Flex in the first place? It doesn't need the power. So why wouldn't they put it on the Explorer? One thing to note, Ford does not specifically say whether the ecoboost engine allows for more towing. The brochure for the Flex towing just shows 4500 lbs with either engine and the class 3 hitch.

The Ecoboost in the F150 will tow 11,300lbs when properly equipped. I'm sure if it made its way into the Explorer, it would be comparable to the previous 2 gens(3rd and 4th)

The body and engine are not the issue. The limitation on trailer tow capacity is the driveline alignment - transverse. Cannot get a transaxle and the rear PTO to take the torque/strain of over 5K towing. 3.5L or 3.5L EcoBoost would both have same tow rating.

The Jeep is longitudinal drivetrain, so it can use more "stardard" suv/truck drivetrain components. Remember, the jeep platform was purpose designed just for the jeep SUVs. The new Explorer platform is a Flex / Taurus underneath. Sure, there are some component upgrades, but the overall platform started life as a Ford Five Hundred, which was derived from the Volvo S80.

The new explorer has great capability for terrain with all the traction control software/hardware, but it is not intended to be a heavy hauler. The tradeoff that had to be made for the ride and usage MOST explorers and mid/large SUVs owners want these days.

Personally, I don't care about towing - but I don't see a reason why I should NOT pick 360 HP (or more) over 290 HP while getting an almost identical MPG-number.

I also don't see a reason why an Explorer "doesn't need" that kind of power but a Flex or Taurus does...:rolleyes:

Only a matter of $$$.

Remember, when the explorer was being developed, gas hit record all time high prices. Fuel economy quickly outweighed the need for power. Launching an all new truck with two powertrains (the 2.0L being all new), they were at their max. Who knows, 3.5L could come back in line up in the future. Yes, they are installed in the Taurus and MKS at the same Chicago plant.

I imagine the suspension is a large factor in the towing as well. The suspension in my '06 is a bit stiffer than the '11 and when I tow the ride gets smoother.

I like this thread. Honest discussion of the 11 explorer. On some of the other threads some of us have chasticed by newbys, that think that any of the old (Gen I, II and III) explorers are obsolete dinosars. some of then are convincent that the new explorer will even walk on water.

We know about the I4 ecoboost, we were speculating on the V6 ecoboost coming to the new Ex because of mounting evidence. First and foremost, it's offered on the Flex and Taurus. Same platform on all of these so it should be no problem putting it in.

Ask yourself this: why is it on the Flex in the first place? It doesn't need the power. So why wouldn't they put it on the Explorer? One thing to note, Ford does not specifically say whether the ecoboost engine allows for more towing. The brochure for the Flex towing just shows 4500 lbs with either engine and the class 3 hitch.
edge929, I got the following from Autoblog.com: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-puts-four-cylinder-ecoboost-engine-above-v6/

The real towing deficit comes with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine, which is limited to a mere 2,000 pounds. With the torque available from the turbo-four, we would have thought it could handle more than one ton on its trailer hitch. The difference is likely due to the fact that the EcoBoost engine is only available with front-wheel drive, while the V6 is offered with either front- or all-wheel drive. The four-cylinder Explorer is clearly only for those who need go-anywhere capability without a trailer.

I guess I don't understand that. The I4 ecoboost puts out the same torque as the V6 but is purposely limited to FWD and 3000 lbs less towing capacity yet you will pay more for it. I've heard estimates as high as $2000 for the I4 ecoboost and as low as $300. Based on the fact that you are losing tons of towing and cannot get 4WD with the I4, what's the point? Is it really worth 1-2 mpg more? Maybe if I lived in Florida or Texas with ZERO chance of off-roading or snow storms in the next 15 years, I'd consider it.

Maybe if I lived in Florida or Texas with ZERO chance of off-roading or snow storms in the next 15 years, I'd consider it.

If it should really be $2K more, not even in Florida..:D

I mean, you really have to drive A LOT to make up for that premium...and considering the sacrifices you mentioned..NO.

$2K more for a V6 EcoBoost...that would be something else.

The four-cylinder Explorer is clearly only for those who need go-anywhere capability without a trailer.

How does FWD provide go anywhere capability? I don't understand why anyone would choose a FWD "SUV" over a mini van.

How does FWD provide go anywhere capability? I don't understand why anyone would choose a FWD "SUV" over a mini van.

They also make an AWD version (what I have). It's very capable in the snow, as I've found out in the last two days. I've owned 3 other Explorers in the past, and this one is by far the most sure footed in the snow of any of them. The power transfer is much smoother than the old control trac system, and you don't have the same steering issues when cornering that you have with conventional 4wd.

The new "Explorer", if you can even call it that, doesn't really have much of any go anywhere capability. Since its basically a slightly modified Taurus with a taller body and a smidge more ground clearance, it only has slightly more suspension travel than a Taurus. On anything other than a slightly rutted gravel road I think it will struggle. MotorTrend said as much in their first drive article of the new Taurex. (Get it, I made a new name for it, since its just a Taurus. Laugh damn you!)

Its a great vehicle, I've no doubt about that. It does what it was designed to do, ferry kids to soccer practice and get groceries, and only go offroad when you pull it into the grass to wash it. I just don't think it should be called an Explorer. Ford better bring the Bronco back, without screwing it up, or the next new vehicle I buy might be a Jeep. Or figure out a way to get a Hilux in the States.

They also make an AWD version (what I have). It's very capable in the snow, as I've found out in the last two days. I've owned 3 other Explorers in the past, and this one is by far the most sure footed in the snow of any of them. The power transfer is much smoother than the old control trac system, and you don't have the same steering issues when cornering that you have with conventional 4wd.

And from an actual owner of a 2011- that honest opinion is one I'd value more than anyone that has never set foot into a new Ex. Just sayin'

And from an actual owner of a 2011- that honest opinion is one I'd value more than anyone that has never set foot into a new Ex. Just sayin'

I never said anything bad about it. It looks like, and I'm sure it is, and awesome vehicle. My only complaint is that they used the name Explorer for it. I am positive that the refinement, comfort, and drive-ability would leave my 2nd gen in the dust. At least on the street, and thats what its designed for. Comfortable people hauling on the street, and inclement weather/dry dirt road leading to a campsite type terrain. Not off roading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new "Explorer", if you can even call it that, doesn't really have much of any go anywhere capability. Since its basically a slightly modified Taurus with a taller body and a smidge more ground clearance, ....

Interesting comment. Did you know that the ground clearance for a stock '98 Explorer is 6.7" and the ground clearance for a stock '11 Explorer is 7.6"?

Back