2011 Explorer gets ECOboost twinturbo V6? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer gets ECOboost twinturbo V6?

Willied - Why you riping on my post? I am in agreement with you!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But the 4 cylinder doesn't come with AWD, right?

Exactly my point and it therefore doesn't have any "go anywhere capability".

Aside from the looks- which I agree with, I don't see what the FWD Explorer has over a minivan.

Going back to the original post title, my owner's manual shows no alternate motor for the '11 at this point. It only shows specs, capacities, etc for the current 3.5 V6 motor. Also the Ford website doesn't show any other motor availability.

Makes me wonder if all the sites talking about the 4 cylinder diesel and the Ecoboost are "guessing" at what Ford is going to do.

So anyone else heard of this engine being reduced to 3.2L (per rules) and entering the LMP2 world in its TT form? Interesting... vuurrrry interesting...

Chassis maker LOLA is supposedly already on board with it
ry0806102-copy.jpg

Going back to the original post title, my owner's manual shows no alternate motor for the '11 at this point. It only shows specs, capacities, etc for the current 3.5 V6 motor. Also the Ford website doesn't show any other motor availability.

Makes me wonder if all the sites talking about the 4 cylinder diesel and the Ecoboost are "guessing" at what Ford is going to do.
I believe that I read a while ago that it is to be available only later in the model year and only on FWD models.

Moderator time here folks. This is going into all threads on the '11 Explorer.

I know there are those of you out there that do not like the new Explorer. I'm fine with that and you are entitled to your opinion. HOWEVER I am tired of people bashing the '11 without ever driving one, sitting in one, or in some cases seeing one. If you have experience with one and don't like a feature or how it drives or how it failed you somehow, please post up about it. I've already found stuff I don't like and posted up about it, and I'm sure that there are other features/items that I will find that I don't like either.

If you don't like the fact that Ford called this an Explorer and you feel that the name is tarnished, don't whine here, it won't do any good. You'll just piss people off. Sent a note to Ford and complain to them. If enough people don't like the re-design and tell Ford, maybe they will take that into consideration.

If anyone persists in continued bashing or sniping (as in any other forum on the site), you will become eligible for a vacation from the site of an undetermined length.

Please do not respond to this post saying F-You or Thank You...That's not why it's here. Just read it and continue on.

Thank You.

On Edit..a healthy debate is always welcome on here. Please do not take it as different opinions are not allowed. It's the bashing that needs to stop.

I understand that and the AWD version is the only one I would consider. I was commenting on peterk9's post that the 4 cyl. ecoboost was for those who want go anywhere capability but do not need to tow. FWD does not equal go anywhere capability in any way at all.
Unless you are getting AWD, I don't understand the appeal of this vehicle over a minivan.

reading old threads and this vehicle appeals greatly over my wife's 2005 Mercury Minivan in many ways...the mercury got us everywhere we wanted to go in Iowa even in the snow, the AWD on the Explorer is not worth the premium to us and slightly less mpg...but the new Explorer has the MFT system AND will be a better choice for towing our 3,500 lb Camper AND it will get better MPG than the pathetic Mercury. After the Mercury, I thought I would never buy a Ford Product again and then along came the Flex (like it) and then the Explorer (love it!) Too bad for my wife she has to drive that van another year or two to make up for the transmission repair and other expenses but there are definite reasons to buy the explorer even in the FWD version for our family,

Back