• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer AC Problems

Kilpe21

Reaction score
City, State
San Carlos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
My car experienced AC failure in the Central Valley, it was approx. 97 outside and the AC just stopped working. I had to do a master reset on the Sync a few days earlier, not sure what effect that had if at all. The car was also shaking and jumping a lot when my foot was off the petal. Worried I have a lemon, dealership says nothing is wrong with the car. Surprise!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread into the Stock 2011+ subforum. Someone here should be able to help you.

My car experienced AC failure in the Central Valley, it was approx. 97 outside and the AC just stopped working. I had to do a master reset on the Sync a few days earlier, not sure what effect that had if at all. The car was also shaking and jumping a lot when my foot was off the petal. Worried I have a lemon, dealership says nothing is wrong with the car. Surprise!
Welcome to the Forum Kilpe21.:wavey:
It may help if we knew which model you have. Do you have the Sony Touch Panel? It would be very helpful if you added the model to your profile so that it will show in the left margin where your name is. Not all models have the same features and it may help members in answering some of your future concerns as well.
When the dealer said there was nothing wrong, was the A/C working at the time?

Peter

Hi Kilpe21,

I want to look into this to see how I can help. PM your information to me, including your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work.

Crystal

So I took the car back to Towne Ford for them to look at the AC again as the problem persisted, after extensive investigation they determined the AC cluch went out and are replacing it. This will take five days and is under Warrenty but a loaner car is not, they told me it was then changed their mind. So now I have to waste another hour filling out paperwork and picking up and dropping off the rental car. First Ford in a long time so far not very impressed with car or dealership, I hope it gets better from here!

So I took the car back to Towne Ford for them to look at the AC again as the problem persisted, after extensive investigation they determined the AC cluch went out and are replacing it. This will take five days and is under Warrenty but a loaner car is not, they told me it was then changed their mind. So now I have to waste another hour filling out paperwork and picking up and dropping off the rental car. First Ford in a long time so far not very impressed with car or dealership, I hope it gets better from here!
One thing to keep in mind is that for the factory warranty, Ford is under no obligation to supply a loaner/rental. It is stated in the Warranty Guide that you have. If a dealer agrees to supply one, it is done at their expense, so you are already better off than most who have has warranty work done. So your dealer is doing something for you to help you out even though they don't have to do so.

Peter

I hope that A/C issues do not turn out to be too common. A friend of ours with a '12 XLT (that I recommended that she buy...) had the compressor fail at 50k. Under warranty fix, so no big deal - but - when the warranty is gone this would be a hugely expensive repair... She did not get a loaner either. This is something Ford should think about offering to everyone with vehicles still under warranty, if a loaner is offered it makes the whole experience feel much less painful. Many other brands offer loaners without issue regardless of warranty package.

AC Failure

Peter, I appreciate your feedback, while I have to agree more with Coffey454 this experience has been a huge pain in the neck and at no fault of my own and it is disconcerting that FORD does not stand by their mistakes and is unwilling to make their mistakes the least painful on me the consumer. I have been to the dealership twice and have wasted a lot of time to get to this point, and I am only half way done. Eating half the cost of the car does make me feel better about TOWNE FORD at this point, but leaves me concerned about FORD and their customer service policies. Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

It has been my experience in trying to get all of Gray Ghost's problems fixed that Ford Corporate sucks when it comes to customer service. From them it is more Lip Service than Customer Service. Now at dealership levels, I have had great experiences, but they can only do so much until corporate is brought into the fold and then things go down hill from there. It's a shame really.

The problem has been solved, turns out the cable from the computer to the AC failed and nothing was telling the AC to turn on hence a lot of hot air. It has now been fixed and everything seems to be running fine. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Back