2013 20" Polished Aluminum Rims Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 20" Polished Aluminum Rims Question

dcyphert

Reaction score
City, State
Clarion, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a preowned 2013 Ford Explorer XLT and still has warranty coverage on the 36k bumper to bumper. My dealership here in NW PA has been great to work with after noticing paint bubbling along front edge of hood. They took photos, submitted to Ford and replaced hood under warranty.

After hood was replaced I showed the dealership the marks in the finish on 20" Polished Aluminum Rims, thinking they'd be covered too. They told me they are covered and took photos of each with post it notes pointing to marred areas.

Here are a few pics of the rims....
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9ZBSzF9xvzgc1c3R0ZRYmJnZUE&usp=sharing

I've seen few other '12 and '13 Explorers with same rims and similar marring in the finish......has anyone else had this issue with their polished aluminum rims and what was your experience when submitting to Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that almost looks like heat crazing...

Are these actually polished aluminum or are they chromated aluminum? I saw a car with chromated aluminum, and there was some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion going on where the aluminum was rotting out behind the chrome... looked kinda similar to this.

that almost looks like heat crazing...

Are these actually polished aluminum or are they chromated aluminum? I saw a car with chromated aluminum, and there was some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion going on where the aluminum was rotting out behind the chrome... looked kinda similar to this.

I assumed they were polished...whatever the stock versions are?...not sure now. I'll have to see what they are straight from the factory for that year...I know for sure they were offered as early as 2012 (maybe 2011) and a friend has them on her 2014 but haven't seen hers yet to if they have similar markings.

The marring seen on this photo (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZBSzF9xvzgbzRZMnpnb1UwTlk) happened when I washed the vehicle for the first time...I was just rubbing the area with my thumb (thru a wash mit) to remove something sticking to it and when I rinsed, this mark appeared...I know it wasn't there prior....and wasn't really pressing very hard either....strange.

hmm. This looks more like polished aluminum than the chromated Al rims that I saw.

If they are polished aluminum and not the chromated BS, there would have to be an epoxy clearcoat on them to keep them from oxidizing. this seems to be where the problem is.

UPDATE: Ford is replacing 20" rims under warranty

Received info from my dealer that the 20" polished aluminum rims are being replaced. Now to look for a good sealant to protect from the salt and crappy conditions these PA winters bring.

I thought about getting a set of steel rims and hubcaps fore the winter but the dealership said it's probably be hard to find 20" steel rims for it.

Back