2013 Explorer Reverse and A Bang

ExplorerTheRoads

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
New to this forum so excuse me if I’m not posting in the correct spot

I currently own a 2013 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6. I’m trying to get to the bottom of an issue I’m having when starting my vehicle and putting into reverse. This issue seems to happen more frequently when starting it cold in the morning. But does happen from time to time when I’m out and about. This problem is also intermittent. I have about 92,500 miles on the vehicle and the transmission is still in warranty. Some times when starting my explorer and then when putting it into reverse it will jerk and create and sort of bang or thud. I can then continue to reserve then into drive and every will be fine.

Can anyone suggest what issue might be causing this? More recently I have had a motor mount replaced which had blown which has cut down on come engine noise. After doing some research I’m wounding if any of these could be the issue:

Transmission issue? / checked transmission fluid color seems fine and level seems fine.

Some type of solenoid issue

More then one motor mount going bad? Or if original bad motor mount caused damaged.

This could be unrelated but I’ll throw it in since it might lead to a better result. When driving at high speed on the interstate. I have also noticed that when getting to about 75-80 MPH could be lower while I accelerate, I am also getting a jerking motion as well what I can describe as maybe a slipping gear. Usually I believe this happens while shifting at those speeds but adding more power resolves the issue or letting off the gas stops the issue.

Any ideas?

I get a little hesitation and hard down shift sometimes on the free way. Surprise, you get a delayed shift and boom it shifts.

Mine clunks a bit going into D or R and seems to be vibrating more. I bet its the torque strut or trans mount. my old ford 500 used to need torque strut bushings and it would clunk when it was put into gear. New bushing solved it

Have somebody check by seeing movement in engine bay while you out into gear, R and D repetitively

How many miles do you have? Any other strange or new vibrations, shutters, jutters, or noises? What you are hearing/feeling could be anything from a broken mount to an internal transmission issue. Visually check all the mounts, make sure no bolts are missing or broken.

He stated he has 92,500 miles.

Back