2013 Ford Explorer issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer issues

Thanx TwinExes...I assume you mean the same problem with the clock. How do you reset the MFT? I don't have a clue. If I can find out, I'll try that. Wonder why the techs didn't try that, if in fact that does the trick.

I'll just deal with the noise and I'm hoping that I will learn to pay no more attention to it than when the doors lock.

Bob Allen

Bob, head on over to outofmytouch.com and go to the section "MFT acting up?" - there is a link with instructions for a file you can download to a usb stick that reboots MFT.

That's the easiest way, and it usually works. Some other ways include: Navigating to the setup menus and choosing MASTER RESET. If you do this when you are parked it resets all your settings and changes them to the factory settings and resets MFT.

The hardest ways:
1.) Pull fuse 29
2.) Pull the battery for a few minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I did. On the touch screen go to settings. Then select system. Scroll down to master reset. Sit back and wait. You will have to re sync your phone etc. the above link might be worth a shot if you have a thumb drive handy.

Hi..first post here..hope I'm in the right spot. Bought my first Ford SUV ever in September, 2012, Explorer XLT 2WD. Loved the look of it from the start, and having been a GM man all my life, was a little reluctant to make a switch. Had some issues with my "09 Acadia, so I made the switch. Everything was fine for about 2 months, then began to hear a little "bump" noise every time I started the car and began to leave a stopped position. It would only do it when the engine was stopped and re-started. You could drive it for as far as you wanted and never hear it again as long as you didn't shut the engine off. As soon as you did the noise returned. Had it looked at by the dealer and he got a print out from their "help hot line" that it was the ABS system making a computer check and that it was "normal". Normal to me means that every car has the same noise, but I really doubt that's the case. Basically they said I had to live with it...there was no cure!

Secondly, I noticed last week that my two clocks were out of sync. The one on the dash keeps perfect time, but the one on the touch screen will not keep up now. If you press on the clock display next to where the temperature is the bigger clock appears and it will display the correct time, but still will not change with the dash clock. Back to the dealer. After about 30 minutes, I am told that Ford is aware of this problem and has deemed it a possible satellite issue and they are working on it. I will be notified when something positive comes up. Lots of luck!!! I am now considering calling the dealer and asking for a conference with his son who is the manager, but I seriously doubt it will do any good.

Bottom line....owned the car for 6 months and seem to have two irreversible issues. What's next, I wonder?? I like the car otherwise, but I wonder about a couple of things. The driver side arm rest is way to low for me. I like to drive with my arm on the rest and left hand on the steering wheel, but the position of the arm rest negates that. I also wonder why Ford would give me so many options on the touch screen and steering wheel that I will never use during the course of normal driving, and not give me a garage door opener that I would use several times a day. That really puzzles me. They need to re-***** their priorities, I think. I'm wondering how Ford would treat the clock issue if the car was on their used lot. They certainly couldn't sell it in good faith with the clock not working correctly. I'll bet they would come up with something pretty fast if a serious buyer appeared.

I do have an "02 F250 that I 've had for almost 11 years and it's been a good truck, though it's had a good home and garaged every nite. Last of the 7.3deisels. Surprising how they maintain their value.

It doesn't look like I'll be buying another Ford though. What's the old saying...I've bought two, my first and last. Try to keep buying American but it gets harder all the time.

Bob Allen
Seaford, De
For the record I had am 11 Enclave and it did the same noise at start up as the Ford suee to ABS..not sure why you did not notice this in the Acadia

The ABS is a systems check. Happens on all explorers. We have had 3 and they all do it. The clock is new. I haven't heard of that one before.

I did notice it on the Acadia..it had two "bumps" instead of one. That, along with some other issues is why I traded it. It was also over three years old with over 60K on it. Matter of fact, when I took the Ford back to the dealer, I told them it sounded like the noise in my Acadia. Sure enough, it was. I just can't understand, with all the technology available today, it can't be a quiet system. Then again, maybe I'm just expecting too much from a 36 thousand dollar vehicle.

Also I was contacted by Rebecca, the tech lady mentioned by Crystal, via PM and she advised she will be looking into the clock problem and getting back to me on the forum, probably next week some time. So that's a good sign from Ford...actually more than I expected. Nice to know they patrol these forums for potential problems and try to find solutions for complainers like me.

Bob Allen

2013 Exploer issues since December 2012: currently has 6500 miles
Leaking rain water from the roof: took four visits to the dealer
Driver side Window was making a horrible noise
Drive side Window rubber was defective
Rear panels were rattling
Passenger side interior trim was rattling
Clicking noise when first accelerating: TSB on the drive axle shaft
Driver side seat is cracked: Service department sent pictures to Ford to see if they will cover.
my brakes squeal at low speeds with only 6500 miles, it has been squealing since 4K
Foul smell from the A/C: dealership "treated" it too only make it worse

I am happy Ford customer:)

Thankfully the Regional customer service rep in my area is delightful to talk too

2013 Exploer issues since December 2012: currently has 6500 miles
Leaking rain water from the roof: took four visits to the dealer
Driver side Window was making a horrible noise
Drive side Window rubber was defective
Rear panels were rattling
Passenger side interior trim was rattling
Clicking noise when first accelerating: TSB on the drive axle shaft
Driver side seat is cracked: Service department sent pictures to Ford to see if they will cover.
my brakes squeal at low speeds with only 6500 miles, it has been squealing since 4K
Foul smell from the A/C: dealership "treated" it too only make it worse

I am happy Ford customer:)

Thankfully the Regional customer service rep in my area is delightful to talk too

Have you tried turning your heater on full blast for about 10 minutes?

I know your problems are annoying and more than others but if it makes you feel any better our $60k+ suburban had most of those issues and then some... I guess every manufacturer has their duds?..

UPDATE.....for some reason, my clock issues seem to have righted themselves. I have no idea why, but it was sorta like a wound healing...a little at a time. About two weeks ago I noticed that the touch screen clock would keep up for about 5 minutes, and then lose it. Then it would keep up for 8 or 9 minutes, then lose it. For the last week or so, it has been keeping time correctly for as long as 20-25 minutes, so I'm hoping it has righted itself. That's about as long as I have driven continuously lately. This seems to fall under "unexplained", I guess. I sure don't have any answers, but I'm glad, to say the least.

No other problems to report as of now...

Bob Allen

Back