• Register Today It's free!

2013 Rear Suspension

Rog13

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I had to replace both rear Knuckles as the Bushings all worn out. After replacing both rear knuckles, complete with new Bushings, both tires now point inwards, like they are flying the "V" formation and the tops of both tires are pointing slightly outwards. Anyone have any idea as to why???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace both rear Knuckles as the Bushings all worn out. After replacing both rear knuckles, complete with new Bushings, both tires now point inwards, like they are flying the "V" formation and the tops of both tires are pointing slightly outwards. Anyone have any idea as to why???
Alignment?

If they aligned the front end, it sbould have been OK. Ball joints etc when bad do not allow alignment. Are you 100% sure front was done?

Had it in for an alignment and they told me to replace the upper control arms because they too were worn out.
If they aligned the front end, it sbould have been OK. Ball joints etc when bad do not allow alignment. Are you 100% sure front was done?
They would not do the any of the alignment because of the rear upper control arms.

Where did you take it for an alignment? The dealer? If so, why not try another independent shop and see what they have to say. If they agree the upper control arms need replacing then you know what you have to do next.

Peter

Where did you take it for an alignment? The dealer? If so, why not try another independent shop and see what they have to say. If they agree the upper control arms need replacing then you know what you have to do next.

Peter
I had taken it it a reliable independent shop. Would the Upper Control Arm be worn out be the cause of the angled wheels, as stated in my first message

I'm not a mechanic by any means but I believe worn control arms can result in a toe-in or tow-out condition. In any case, if they are worn out, they should be replaced. You could always get a second opinion as to their condition.

Peter

I'm not a mechanic by any means but I believe worn control arms can result in a toe-in or tow-out condition. In any case, if they are worn out, they should be replaced. You could always get a second opinion as to their condition.

Peter
Thanks Peter. The mechanic was kind enough to show we the motion that the control arm had. Figured all of my issue was in the worn out bushings in the knuckle. Just surprised that changing the knuckle through the tires out of wack.

Back