2013 - wet PTU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For a quick fix, I was thinking dual hoses off my existing single barb fitting on the PTU, not drilling and tapping a second. For an upgraded bench built unit, that would be an awesome upgrade.

Also, I finished my filling finally. Went through the gears in my driveway, checked for immediate leaks. Going to take it for a quick spin tomorrow and check again. Then, another drain and refill, maybe this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For a quick fix, I was thinking dual hoses off my existing single barb fitting on the PTU, not drilling and tapping a second. For an upgraded bench built unit, that would be an awesome upgrade.

Also, I finished my filling finally. Went through the gears in my driveway, checked for immediate leaks. Going to take it for a quick spin tomorrow and check again. Then, another drain and refill, maybe this weekend.

That might work as well. Not as well as 2 dedicated lines, but 2 hoses coming off that brass fittings means the air and oil will only fight each other at that short section and not the entire length of hose...smart move.

As for going through the gears, that doesn't do anything per se as the PTU (and driveshaft) spins 100% of the time the vehicle is in motion, so ideally, you'd want to be driving to "get the juices flowing" so to speak, lol.

But very cool & good for you on that PTU fluid change. It will get easier the next time...you'll have worked out the kinks and gone through the learning curve..

The dual hose is next time. For my super immediate need, I'm going to shove a 2mm OD 1mm ID hose down the vent tube to give it just a little air when I fill. Amazon, about $8 and I'll have it Friday. Not perfect but it's something.

And regarding the spinning, noted. This transverse stuff is new to me. Give me a 4.6L and a 4R70W any day.

The dual hose is next time. For my super immediate need, I'm going to shove a 2mm OD 1mm ID hose down the vent tube to give it just a little air when I fill. Amazon, about $8 and I'll have it Friday. Not perfect but it's something.

And regarding the spinning, noted. This transverse stuff is new to me. Give me a 4.6L and a 4R70W any day.
That'll work as well, good call on that.

Alright, i ran out this morning and got my amsoil severe gear oil, 4ft of hose, hose fittings and some clamps! Thanks again @ecoboost_xsport and @Rob_I for all the pics and explanation on the process this week.

Not happy. Took an hour drive yesterday. Maybe 30 miles. Looked this morning and the bottom front of the PTU is wet with fresh gear oil along the bottom, bottom right bolt and slightly up the side of the PTU case facing the motor. I don't believe it is coming from the front plastic seal since it seems to be relatively dry. I confirmed it was gear oil and not engine oil by smell. Before it was too little to detect but now there is more quantity, I can get a good sniff. :mad:

So...what is a good part number of a new PTU that will fit my '13? Suggested retailer? Do you think my regular mechanic will be able to go this or should I go to the stealership?

Attachments

• PTU After fluid.jpg
    PTU After fluid.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 130

You've got the PIU so the one with the cooler is the one you need. The one form the latest MY will fit...2019, it will have all the latest improvements (not impressive, but it's something at least). PN: DG1Z-7251-F (with cooler). There were some significant changes made internally in early 2016, so that will help.

You can order from any number of Ford online parts retailers. It may be different for you at different sites. From what I've discovered, you may find the part cheaper on one site, but shipping is more, etc...so I go to a few different ones, calculate my shipping and go off that price. Some of the ones I order from are Tasca, FordPartsGiant, LakeLand Ford, OEMFordparts. but there are others.

The dealership will charge you close to $2k for the job. It may be a bit less at a local mechanic, but it's a long job and kind of a pain to install. It won't be cheap wherever you go. And they will mark up the part cost. Maybe get the part yourself and take it to a local mechanic?

Man, that sucks. But if you get it yourself, you can do all the mods on it before you mount it...that's what I would do.

It may just be a seal that needs replacing. Not unheard of in the earlier 5th gen models. Several members have mentioned that a bad PTU will often result in a propane type smell.
Was about to post the part number ecoboost_xsport posted in a previous thread but he beat me to it. :)

Peter

I'm concerned that it may not just be the front seal but the case seal. Can I spray brake clean the white seal and monitor? I don't want to completely melt it.

I'm concerned that it may not just be the front seal but the case seal. Can I spray brake clean the white seal and monitor? I don't want to completely melt it.
Yes, you can clean it with brake clean, just wipe it up good. But when I'm concerned about the corrosiveness of brake clean, I use electronic parts cleaner. It degreases pretty well too.

If I do need to buy a new PTU (I'm preparing for that) vs just a front seal, what other parts or tools do I need to buy? My mechanic is very accommodating when it comes to me supplying parts. It says I need a new compression seal.

AllData R&R Sheet attached.

PTU: DG1Z-7251-F
Compression Seal: ??

Do I need to have my mechanic install a new Output Shaft Seal kit (DB5Z-7275-E) that needs to be heat gunned on? If so, he would need to complete the Intermediate Shaft Seal and Deflector install? AllData sheet attached.

Basically, I want to hand the guy everything he needs, instructions included, and tell him go.

Attachments

• Power Transfer Unit (PTU) (Transfer Case) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf
    364.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Intermediate Shaft Seal and Deflector (Seals and Gaskets) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf
    511.3 KB · Views: 123

BTW, I do not have Turbo. Are you sure this is the right PTU?

Description for the PTU DG1Z-7251-F : Police Interceptor Sedan. Explorer. Taurus. Edge. MKX. 3.5l. 3.7l. Oil Cooler. With turbo. From 9/4/12. With cooler. To 01/21/2016. From 01/21/2016. With sho package 1. With hot weather group.

Does ford cover PTU leaks and failures as part of the powertrain warranty? I have the option to extended my 100K coverage to 148K and I think it might be worth the $1000 asking price! Not to mention most transmission failures and oil leaks it might cover.

BTW, I do not have Turbo. Are you sure this is the right PTU?

Description for the PTU DG1Z-7251-F : Police Interceptor Sedan. Explorer. Taurus. Edge. MKX. 3.5l. 3.7l. Oil Cooler. With turbo. From 9/4/12. With cooler. To 01/21/2016. From 01/21/2016. With sho package 1. With hot weather group.
Ah, so ypu have the 3.7 NA? I thought all the PIUs were the 3.5 turbo, but now that I think about it, our PD also uses the 3.7 NA...

But there are literally only 2 different PTUs, one with the cooler and one without, they are 100% identical. You need to know if yours has the cooler on it. It will look like this:

20200531_165247.jpg

20200503_121331.jpg

This is what it looks like without the cooler:
20200531_165252.jpg

That is literally the only difference. Honestly if you wanted to put in some work, even if you dont have the cooler, you retrofit it.

You could buy the one with the cooler, and either not use it ever...or could retrofit it now or any time in the future. You'd need a few additional parts, but this being the main one:
20200601_094430.jpg

It just ties in to the radiator. But let's find out what you have first.

Whats your engine size? And take a look at the PTU and let me know if you have the cooler or not

PN on my PTU sticker is: Db53-7251-AK

And I am quite sure I saw the cooler lines.

finished my drain and fill. It was gear oil was quite dark and had some sparkles. Drain plug had quite a few shavings on it as well. I did the IV method (thanks for tip) and I was surprised that I was able to get it to go in after sitting for maybe 60-90 min. And getting that hose clamp on the vent sure was fun :confused:

I’ll post some pics tomorrow. I figure I got about 9-10oz out. But poking around I think I might still have a problem with the turbo or return line on the rear turbo leaking. They look wet with a bit of oil. Not sure if there is any way to check that since it’s buried up by the firewall. But I’ll include that in my pics but that might be another thread so this one stays as the PTU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, I just did my plugs and got a picture of the top of the PTU with my vent hose. It's dirty but doesn't appear to have any fresh oil. Odd...

Attachments

• 20201004_161321.jpg
    20201004_161321.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 117

Back