2015 PIU bearing and PTU fluid change questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 PIU bearing and PTU fluid change questions

tvarghese

Reaction score
City, State
Pewaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Greetings all,

I have noises coming from the front driver side that sounds like bearings. I took it to my local mechanic and he said it is possible it is the PTU, but then hedged and said <15% chance of that, most likely just the bearing. He suggested taking it to a dealer. I've never done a bearing, but I've watched several utoob videos so I'm pretty close to an expert now :D

So here are a few questions:
1) Should I replace more than just the front driver side bearing if I'm doing them. Both fronts? I really hope nobody says all four...
2) Is the 2015 PTU similar to the 2014 PTU on the PIUs? I read through the forums and seen conflicting information which is why I'm asking to see if anyone who has a 2015 has done it and if there is a good guide or video I could follow.

I was going to replace the brake pads while I'm at it. Anything else I should consider doing?

You don't have to replace the bearing in pairs. If the others are still good keep them. Check for excessive play and any roughness.

Sorry I can't help you with PTU info.

You don't have to replace the bearing in pairs. If the others are still good keep them. Check for excessive play and any roughness.

Sorry I can't help you with PTU info.
Thanks for letting me know about the bearings. I bought two, but I'll just keep the second one until I need it.

No worries on the PTU.

Back